Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Replacing Impeller - Just the impeller or entire assembly? >

Replacing Impeller - Just the impeller or entire assembly?

Notices

Replacing Impeller - Just the impeller or entire assembly?

Old 04-27-2016, 05:05 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replacing Impeller - Just the impeller or entire assembly?

I've always wondered this question and never asked. Each time I do the impellers for my boat, I've always bought the entire assembly with the new plastic housing, gaskets, metal plate etc. How do you guys handle replacing your impellers? Do you replace everything each time or do you just buy the impeller and use the existing housing? Is it better to just do the entire assembly?
Old 04-27-2016, 05:15 AM
Registered

Received 23 Likes on 10 Posts

I usually do the impeller o rings and metal plate and check the housing. And every so often will do the housing.
Old 04-27-2016, 05:49 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I used to do the same as 1989mach1. Just change the impeller and inspect the housing. That was until I had a housing explode on me and ruined my weekend on the water. After that, I replaced the entire assembly. It's more money, but to me its worth it to not lose any time on the lake.
Old 04-27-2016, 06:37 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I replace the whole assembly after every 3 boating seasons and never had one go bad before that. The plastic housing tends to get a little scored inside and also wears in to the rubber impeller, that’s why I like replacing both at the same time.
Old 04-27-2016, 06:55 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 46 Likes on 23 Posts

Just like a bearing and bearing race or a chain and sprocket, the impeller and housing wear-in together and when one is replaced without the other your not getting maximum performance. I replace yearly at minumum, usually 20-25 hrs, the impeller and housing and have yet to see any of the parts that are not "worn" into each other garnering a full replacement. Whats it going to cost you out on the water when it fails versus buying the complete kit?
Old 04-27-2016, 06:55 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by johnny b good
I replace the whole assembly after every 3 boating seasons and never had one go bad before that. The plastic housing tends to get a little scored inside and also wears in to the rubber impeller, that’s why I like replacing both at the same time.
Thats what I was always worried about by just doing the impeller. Just being plastic, I was sure the impeller would wear on the plastic.
Old 04-27-2016, 06:56 AM
Registered

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Ayuh,.... I buy the complete kit with the housin', 'n throw away the impeller,....

I switched to Globe, run-dry impellers,....

They'll last 10 years, or more,....

The one I just pulled outa my Alpha was put in, in '03,.... it still looks dam near new,....

I'll probably replace it, but it's still been pumpin' just fine,....
Old 04-27-2016, 07:04 AM
Registered

Received 607 Likes on 275 Posts

Lose the plastic. These don't cost much:
Old 04-27-2016, 09:26 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I always replace the entire assembly. You still have to replace the impeller, wear plate and o-ring which comes in the kit. At that point, the only thing left is the plastic housing. Doesn't pay not to do it while you have the whole pump off. Also, always change the gear oil in the fuel pump at the same time.
Old 04-27-2016, 10:45 AM
Registered

Received 80 Likes on 56 Posts

Replace as a kit to save some possible future frustration. Keep the one you take off in the boat as a backup (if it was pumping fine). They are hard to find and usually expensive when you have to get one on a Sunday afternoon.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.