One riser hotter topic >

One riser hotter topic

Notices

One riser hotter topic

Old 05-11-2016, 09:53 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default One riser hotter topic

I think i have this figured out but would like some reassurance since i wont be able to get the boat outta the garage to fire it up again for a week or so

3 weeks ago i fired the boat up to verify my alternator was fixed (it was). During the time it was running i noticed no water out the exhuast. I shut it down and noticed some hot exhuast. Like really hot. Motor ran maybe 3-4 minutes. Water temp was maybe 125 on the gauge. Oil temp gauge barely moved at all. So i dont think the motor got hot at all

Dug into it and noticed the impeller was smoked! Replaced impeller, plastic housing, rubber seals etc. pulled every hose i could, pulled the thermostat and oil cooler and couldnt find any additional pieces. Looked to me that 99% of the pieces got jambed in the housing but still wanted to be sure

Fast forward a week and i fire it back up. Dumping water out both sides. Starboard side has more then the port side but not alot, but noticable. My son feels both risers. Starboard side is cool. Port side is hot. Shut down again and recheck hoses and thermostat. All good. Then i notice the hose to the port side is bent and kinked. When i pulled the hose i noticed little water came out the manifold. I shortened the house by about 4" and put a hose clamp where the kink was to try to keep it from bending. Seems alot better now but like i said i wont be able to test it out till this weekend. Just seems odd that the hose suddenly got kids kinked. Was fine all last summer

Thoughts? Anything else i should check? Also it was running on the hose not in the water.
Old 05-11-2016, 02:54 PM
Registered

Received 1,491 Likes on 806 Posts

I wouldn't get to concerned at this point until you get it back in the water. Many times on the hose unless you have a lot of volume with pressure the water will tend to take the path of least resistance. Sounds like you took percaution and will be fine. Something you may want to do is drain your block and make sure you get good water flow out of each side as it drains and maybe even flush. Not sure where you boat or if you have a strainer but I've seen blocks fill with sand on one side or the other and or both. That can really change up your cooling in a hurry. Just a thought to consider.

If you have any doubts at all remove the petcocks all together and pull you t-stat housing and flush with hose.

Let me know how you make out.
John
Old 05-11-2016, 06:01 PM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

I believe that this has been a topic in the past - one riser warmer than the other-- I too thought that I may have a problem. The Starboard side is always warmer than the Port. It is my understanding that as long as you can keep your hand on it without major discomfort it was ok. 7.4 MPI -- all stock 310 hp. I'm boating in Michigan and the water is very cool. I checked the water flow out the exhaust using muffs before we put the boat in the water and all was good.

3pointstar