BBC 555 dart vs rpm intake >

BBC 555 dart vs rpm intake

Notices

BBC 555 dart vs rpm intake

Old 05-13-2016, 04:00 PM
Registered

Received 1,491 Likes on 806 Posts
Default BBC 555 dart vs rpm intake

Ok I can imagine this will go both ways with dart single plane probably being the ticket by most however thought I'd post this. These are 555 builds aiming for 700 hp. Heads will dart 310's opened up to 320 plus int runners and will flow to their full capacity being ported by jim valako. So let's say they will flow close to afr 325 cnc heads. (I already have heads). I'm running darts on my 496's however felt confident I could have went daul plane and been fine. New 555 builds will be propped for 5,700-5,800. Same as my 496's.

Interestingly enough I called afr and talked to a long time customer service rep and he suggested their 325's which I figured as much however he really pushed the rpm air gap for these builds. I would imagine due to the rpm these builds will run at. I see there are a lot of single plane darts out there on smaller cubic inch engines that don't necessarily belong in my opinion.

I guess what I'm wondering is if anyone is running dual plane air gap intakes on 540-565 cubic inch builds. Personally I had planned to use the the dart single planes with these builds matched to the ported dart heads however after I talked with the afr rep I second questioned myself. Cams are solid roller 647/637-244-248 on 111. Carbs will probably flow an honest 1,000 cfm. (Pro systems). Will try 1:8 rockers on the intakes while on dyno to compare pulls. I just may do a quick intake swap on the dyno also unless I get talked out of it.

Boat is a 32 and weighs around 6,700 pds.
Old 05-13-2016, 04:23 PM
Registered

Most my boating is cruising at 2,900 or wfo however I do like hard acceleration when pinned at 2,900. Would be interesting to see torque curve results on both to be honest.
Old 05-13-2016, 05:58 PM
SB
Registered

Received 3,115 Likes on 1,402 Posts

Put it this way, it has been proved ob 400hp and change mild 454's the Victor JR makes more power from planing to WOT, and it does so with way better fuel distribution cylinder to cylinder. Most recent was by member Apollard with great testing techniques, WB02's, and data loggers. His RPM manifold distribution was so bad, he doubted the WB02's and replaced them.

Cubic inches changes things is a hurry. Mild / to healthy 350-383 small blocks with I/O's like the RPM better.
Old 05-13-2016, 07:18 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Edelbrock SV-565
Old 05-13-2016, 08:00 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by SB
Put it this way, it has been proved ob 400hp and change mild 454's the Victor JR makes more power from planing to WOT, and it does so with way better fuel distribution cylinder to cylinder. Most recent was by member Apollard with great testing techniques, WB02's, and data loggers. His RPM manifold distribution was so bad, he doubted the WB02's and replaced them.

Cubic inches changes things is a hurry. Mild / to healthy 350-383 small blocks with I/O's like the RPM better.
That's interesting.
Old 05-13-2016, 08:53 PM
Registered

Received 1,206 Likes on 579 Posts

Single plane enough said. I'm pulling my remaining dual plane this year. I have ran 1 dual and 1 single for years. They were always in sync RPM wise and throttle position wise. I thought there was no difference. I then tuned the engines last year and the single plane pulls a couple hundred RPM's more at the same positions and at full throttle. I will admit I was wrong.
Old 05-13-2016, 09:49 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Rookie
Single plane enough said. I'm pulling my remaining dual plane this year. I have ran 1 dual and 1 single for years. They were always in sync RPM wise and throttle position wise. I thought there was no difference. I then tuned the engines last year and the single plane pulls a couple hundred RPM's more at the same positions and at full throttle. I will admit I was wrong.
What kind of ninja tuning did you do? That's awesome you did side by side no BS comparison.... I knew if I asked Jim he'd say your definitely gonna make more power with single plane. Works out well for me cause I have a number of darts anyway. i was shocked when calling afr direct what they recommended. Not even sure what possessed me to do so but did.
Old 05-14-2016, 09:11 AM
bck
Charter Member#568
Charter Member

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Try both and find out exactly what the difference is. You can never have too much info. Someone must have one you can borrow. I believe afr recommend a dual plane to me as well. I think it's the old generalization that at "lower" rpm single planes aren't as good. I'll bet any sales guy would say you'd be better off with a dual plane at 5700rpm. Most of the engine builders would likely disagree with that however. I went with a single plane on mine, but always wondered what the difference would have been.
Old 05-14-2016, 10:42 AM
SB
Registered

Received 3,115 Likes on 1,402 Posts

Tony MAMO, if still at AFR would have fallen over if he heard other reps say this.

Listen, I'm all about theories and thinking about things too, but there are some tried and true's and this is one of these. But heh, you can't force someone to listen.
Old 05-14-2016, 10:56 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by bck
Try both and find out exactly what the difference is. You can never have too much info. Someone must have one you can borrow. I believe afr recommend a dual plane to me as well. I think it's the old generalization that at "lower" rpm single planes aren't as good. I'll bet any sales guy would say you'd be better off with a dual plane at 5700rpm. Most of the engine builders would likely disagree with that however. I went with a single plane on mine, but always wondered what the difference would have been.

Your right. Besides its always fun to try different combos etc. I've been doing that most my life. Some went south some went extremely well. I'm fortunate where I am able to dyno as I do most the work myself and not bothered and typically given more than enough time to do what I need or want to do. It never fails though I always learn something and that's the key and what makes us who we are. If it wasn't for already having the dart 310's already dressed I was going to try the afr 300 cnc oval port on these builds. Losing some hp up top without a doubt but fun and different builds.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.