Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
496 issue - loss of power to fuel pump? >

496 issue - loss of power to fuel pump?

Notices

496 issue - loss of power to fuel pump?

Old 05-14-2016, 06:59 AM
Registered

Received 16 Likes on 6 Posts
Default 496 issue - loss of power to fuel pump?

2005 496 HO, salt boat. I am having a problem with random loss of power to fuel pump - whether hot or cold, rough or smooth water conditions. I have changed relay twice, switched computers with other engine and still random loss. I can direct wire the pump and make work anytime. Beginning to think I need to open the wiring harness ... any other suggestions before that?

Chad
Old 05-14-2016, 10:53 AM
Registered

Received 471 Likes on 367 Posts

Are you loosing the boost or the high pressure fuel pumps?
Old 05-14-2016, 02:25 PM
BUP
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

cannon plug and or connections to the fuel pumps themselves - salt boat corrosion issues in all voltage related areas including connections , relays and fuses needs to be checked.

Starter connections very poor and corrosion issue and that 90 amp the same at the Starter ??? Are they loose connected ???

The fuel pumps themselves - how hot do they get when running ???

Fuel delivery problem to the fuel pumps while running on the water only ???? Fuel tank anti siphon valve(s) and or fuel tank pick ups ?? running on the boat trailer sometimes can not duplicate the problems

Screen in the bottom portion of the fuel pumps totally restricted with crud and or corrosion ???

Salt boat most likely a corrosion issue impeding and or high resistance voltage to the fuel pumps and or grounds.

Check cannon plug for corrosion and or poor pin connections ( male to female )

When was the last time the fuel filters changed ???

Fuel samples in clear jars ??? water in the fuel and or crud

fuel samples from the filters

Cut open the fuel filters to examine contents ??? running at low rpms on the trailer sometimes can not duplicate problems. See that a million times.

Last edited by BUP; 05-14-2016 at 02:36 PM.
Old 05-14-2016, 03:49 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Question

Originally Posted by RebarBox
2005 496 HO.
Your engine serial number happens to be? Being an 2005, is your fuel system the Gen 2 that looks like this system, http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/s...fuel-pump.html

Or is it the Gen 3 cool fuel module that would resemble this design,http://clubsearay.com/showthread.php...742#post310742
Old 05-14-2016, 04:03 PM
BUP
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

easier question does the OP have a spin on water fuel sep filler - front starboard side of engine? if so its Gen II cool fuel, if not its Gen III cool fuel.

MY guess is its gen II with spin on fuel filter if IN FACT ITS AN OEM STOCK APP. Up here that is a 50 / 50 that it is or it is not completely stock ?

Important info missing - what is your current set up ?

Last edited by BUP; 05-14-2016 at 04:05 PM.