Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
is this a good cam/set up for my 454? >

is this a good cam/set up for my 454?

Notices

is this a good cam/set up for my 454?

Old 05-19-2016, 09:26 AM
Registered

Received 177 Likes on 114 Posts

First, congrats on your new Formula. Having said that it is an '88? I believe that was a transitional year for Alpha/Bravo which is yours? If Alpha it is a330hp peanut port, to be sure call Scott Smith at Formula with your HID# and he can tell you what motor/drive it was born with. At least a starting point.
Good luck.
Old 05-19-2016, 09:31 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SB
This is the way I look at it. Engine has to be removed and Intake has to be pulled to change the cam anyway, so.....let's get this party started ! LOL.

To the OP - what made you dig into this engine thing anyway ? Was it not running right ? or power down ? Or you simply got the receipt with the boat and your eyes popped out ?
The receipts. Mainly the cam choice. Figured while I'm asking about the cam I might as well see about the other parts. I would feel a little better if it was at least a mag with that intake lol.
Old 05-19-2016, 09:33 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by GLENAMY 242SS
First, congrats on your new Formula. Having said that it is an '88? I believe that was a transitional year for Alpha/Bravo which is yours? If Alpha it is a330hp peanut port, to be sure call Scott Smith at Formula with your HID# and he can tell you what motor/drive it was born with. At least a starting point.
Good luck.
Thanks! Bravo out drive.
Old 05-19-2016, 12:17 PM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

I bet its a mag motor.
Old 05-19-2016, 12:50 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 1,236 Likes on 689 Posts

Mag motor or something close!

Interestingly, the cam may not be "that" bad considering the pistons used. Looks like it has a set of SRP 212142 small dome forged pistons down in the holes. With a factory chamber volume of around 118 cc's, that would put her right around 10:1, approximately. That's a whole lot more doable than having that cam with a 8.5:1 motor, though you'll definitely want to run premium fuel to ward off detonation.

I couldn't get info on the exhaust valves, but rejoice in the fact that you have some nice Manley 2.25 intake valves in whatever heads you have bolted on top of that block!

** Exhaust valves are a 1.88 (1.875) standard replacement piece from SB International (supplier of cylinder head parts for the rebuilder business).**

Block information would be helpful... can you get the casting number off the block at the bell-housing, port side? There's also a stamping right above the water pump inline with the thermostat bypass hose. The code stamped there will help identify what it was originally.

Looks like you may very well have a decent foundation there. Just need a "little more" info to wrap it up.

TZ

Last edited by TomZ; 05-19-2016 at 01:24 PM. Reason: Found exhaust valve info!
Old 05-19-2016, 01:23 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 1,236 Likes on 689 Posts

Fman, did you get Formula's "big red book" that originally came with the boat? If you haven't seen it, it may be stowed in one of your cabinets. It would have everything in terms of how your boat was built. Mine had all of the engine info as well as test data from Formula quality control and open water testing. It could tell you a lot of stuff.

Another option would be to call Formula... they can tell you exactly how it was built and optioned.

I'd bet that the boat was built with a 454 Mag, and that the motor you have there is the original, but rebuilt/upgraded. It does not seem like it came with a 330 to me (sleeved block, etc). The only rub here is that someone goofed with the cam/compression deal... though in hind sight it's not as bad as originally considered.

Anyway... hope this helps you out some.
Old 05-19-2016, 01:34 PM
Registered

Received 121 Likes on 66 Posts

87 Formula 330's came with alpha's, all of the '88's I've seen came with Bravo's. I don't think the drive on an '88 will tell the story.
Old 05-19-2016, 01:35 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by TomZ
Fman, did you get Formula's "big red book" that originally came with the boat? If you haven't seen it, it may be stowed in one of your cabinets. It would have everything in terms of how your boat was built. Mine had all of the engine info as well as test data from Formula quality control and open water testing. It could tell you a lot of stuff.

Another option would be to call Formula... they can tell you exactly how it was built and optioned.

I'd bet that the boat was built with a 454 Mag, and that the motor you have there is the original, but rebuilt/upgraded. It does not seem like it came with a 330 to me (sleeved block, etc). The only rub here is that someone goofed with the cam/compression deal... though in hind sight it's not as bad as originally considered.

Anyway... hope this helps you out some.
Sadly I did not. I have went through the boat front to back and cleaned it out. Going to call formula and see if they can shine some light. Thanks everyone for the major help!
Old 05-19-2016, 01:55 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Very possible that isn't even the engine that came in that boat with as old as it is. Surely aren't peanut port heads with those size intake valves. Things are definitely looking better here but one problem I see. Not so sure about those exhaust valves being used with that combo. Really should have Inconel's. Can see by the parts list that engine had a severely damaged cylinder which required a sleeve and a piston replacement. Also a lot of valve work was done, guides and seats. Very possibly dropped a valve and they just figured it was a bad part. I surely wouldn't run it at WOT for extended periods with those exhaust valves.
Old 05-19-2016, 02:19 PM
Registered

extend tails easy on thru hull , or buy gils or merc long tail dry pipes an drive / sounds like decent may run setup , do not think carb is issue run 750 dp holley on sbc

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.