Need Starter Advise gm572 >

Need Starter Advise gm572

Notices

Need Starter Advise gm572

Old 05-29-2016, 02:51 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need Starter Advise gm572

I am looking for some advise on a new starter for a GM 572 NA standard compression engine. Had an arco 30470 on and ate the flywheel. Had to pull engine to replace the flywheel, total pain and a major job. Looking to replace with another starter just to be safe. Anybody have any advise or experience on this?

Thanks.
Old 05-29-2016, 03:15 PM
Registered

Received 1,473 Likes on 799 Posts

Do you have standard block mount or bell housing top mount starter. Make sure and confirm your new starter engages properly before you reassemble everything also. Shims? No shims? You should be able to slide the end of a paper clip between starter flywheel when fully engaged. I usually use a hook tool to slide the starter gear out.
The last two I installed recently one needed one thin shim and the other needed a thick and thin one.
Old 05-29-2016, 04:43 PM
Registered

Thanks. I will definetly be making sure everything is aligned and shimmed right. I checked everything on this one the same way you spoke of and still had this issue. I went from a hitachi type to this arco. Seemed good for a while then chomp chomp chomp on the fly wheel. Only seems to be engaging the treeth about half way as well as best. Am thinking that might be and issue although no adjustment on this starter for that type of shimming.
Old 05-29-2016, 04:59 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Had a car guy that was killing flywheels flex plates had to machine the nose of the starter for less teeth clearance and more depth on the teeth. Is the pinion climbing over the teeth on the ring gear?
Old 05-29-2016, 09:50 PM
Registered

Received 1,473 Likes on 799 Posts

Were you getting kick back while cranking at all? Also what type of flywheel is it. You have a replaceable ring gear or is it one piece solid flywheel. Something seems really strange why you wiped the teeth off. 168 tooth correct? Sorry to not have recommended starter yet. I'm trying to help you figure out why the old starter chewed the teeth off. 14 Apache had a good post. Would just suck to go through this again. I'd look at cpperformance.com for starter. And maybe talk to rep about what went on also.
Old 05-30-2016, 02:19 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

http://www.powermastermotorsports.com/ mine is 16 yrs old..works like a champ..you might want to put a starter button in and push the button and turn the key on for easier start..
Old 05-30-2016, 09:46 AM
Registered

Thanks Fixx, Have a push button set up already.
Old 05-30-2016, 09:49 AM
Registered

Thanks Apache 14, No it is not it just ate the ring gear teeth off 1/16 from the base of the teeth. I don't know it it got loose a little or what. I removed it at the first sign of trouble. Bolts seemed tight, inspected starter and what I could of flywheel and reinstalled. just kept a bar on the boat to rotate away from the bad spot for the last month of the season.
Old 05-30-2016, 09:53 AM
Registered

I got away from the hitachi style because I was told they weren't as strong. IDK. The local shop carried arco and matched this one up for me. I especially don't like the fact that the bendix only engages about half of the ring gear when it is extended to its full throw. Seems like it should come a little farther to me.
Old 05-30-2016, 12:05 PM
Registered

Yes it is a 168 tooth two piece.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.