Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
New Gen 7 540 forged shortblock offering! >

New Gen 7 540 forged shortblock offering!

Notices

New Gen 7 540 forged shortblock offering!

Old 05-31-2016, 08:31 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default New Gen 7 540 forged shortblock offering!

Well technically, it is a 537 cubic inch .

I received a call about a new product being brought to market for us 496 guys. I don't wan't to say any names and have OSO poof the thread since they are not an advertiser here anymore. I guess for the sake of conversation we'll just say the gentleman who called me is named Larry . He has a contract with the company that bought the production rights for the Gen 7 big block from GM that are now being produced for industrial applications. The shortblock that is available is a 537 cubic inch motor offering a 4.35" bore and a 4.5" stroke. The crankshaft, connecting rods, and pistons are fully forged. The pistons are a 4032 alloy and have reliefs deep enough for any cam choice we would run in a marine application. The entire assembly is brand new, not rebuilt or remanufactured. The block has every boss and fastener hole of the original 496 offered by GM, something I am told the Dart block did not offer. The engine is assembled with clearances suitable for marine use. It will come with a cam and new GM lifters although the cam should be considered a takeout for our purposes. The cost for the shortblock is $6500 plus shipping.

This presents a very interesting option for those of us who enjoy these motors. I plan to purchase two of these this fall for next season. My thought process is if I buy a forged rotating assembly I am looking at $3000 before machine work. In order to not have to clearance the block I am limited to 518 cubic inches at an .030" overbore. Figure by the time I am done with machine work I am at probably about $3800 plus my time for assembly. Add in various small parts and lets call it $4000. For an extra $2500 I am now up to nearly 540 cubic inches, an extra .100" bore, and I now have 2 good 496 shortblocks to sell. Since I still have my original 496 heads, and a pair of cams, I actually have a pair of nice 496 longblocks to sell. I think I can come out even or ahead by selling what I have after purchasing these. I also like the idea of the larger bore and shorter stroke to get the cubic inches then the 4.75" stroke needed to do it with the factory 496 block.

Just thought I would throw it out there for any of you guys that happen to enjoy these white elephants like I do.

Last edited by donzi matt; 05-31-2016 at 09:20 PM.
Old 05-31-2016, 08:36 PM
BUP
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

your funny about the R _ _ _ _ _ word
Old 05-31-2016, 08:37 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by BUP
your funny about the R _ _ _ _ _ word
WHHHHAAAAAT? I would say OSO is kind of funny about that, not me.
Old 05-31-2016, 08:43 PM
SB
Registered

Received 3,116 Likes on 1,403 Posts

Sounds like great news !

Crome moly pistons though ? Just joshin
Old 05-31-2016, 08:45 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by SB
Sounds like great news !

Crome moly pistons though ? Just joshin
4032, I'm an effing idiot sometimes.
Old 05-31-2016, 08:48 PM
SB
Registered

Received 3,116 Likes on 1,403 Posts

How about a new code name for OSO:
NORAYJUSTLAR
Old 05-31-2016, 09:04 PM
Registered

Received 87 Likes on 49 Posts

can we be talking about psi ?
Old 06-24-2016, 02:20 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well ain't that just how things go...buy (2) re-manufactured long blocks last year because my access to a shop is limited and this was the "easy button"
Old 06-24-2016, 10:50 PM
Registered

Received 419 Likes on 247 Posts

Is this a stock strength block or stronger like a dart?
Old 04-03-2019, 04:36 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by donzi matt
Well technically, it is a 537 cubic inch .

I received a call about a new product being brought to market for us 496 guys. I don't wan't to say any names and have OSO poof the thread since they are not an advertiser here anymore. I guess for the sake of conversation we'll just say the gentleman who called me is named Larry . He has a contract with the company that bought the production rights for the Gen 7 big block from GM that are now being produced for industrial applications. The shortblock that is available is a 537 cubic inch motor offering a 4.35" bore and a 4.5" stroke. The crankshaft, connecting rods, and pistons are fully forged. The pistons are a 4032 alloy and have reliefs deep enough for any cam choice we would run in a marine application. The entire assembly is brand new, not rebuilt or remanufactured. The block has every boss and fastener hole of the original 496 offered by GM, something I am told the Dart block did not offer. The engine is assembled with clearances suitable for marine use. It will come with a cam and new GM lifters although the cam should be considered a takeout for our purposes. The cost for the shortblock is $6500 plus shipping.

This presents a very interesting option for those of us who enjoy these motors. I plan to purchase two of these this fall for next season. My thought process is if I buy a forged rotating assembly I am looking at $3000 before machine work. In order to not have to clearance the block I am limited to 518 cubic inches at an .030" overbore. Figure by the time I am done with machine work I am at probably about $3800 plus my time for assembly. Add in various small parts and lets call it $4000. For an extra $2500 I am now up to nearly 540 cubic inches, an extra .100" bore, and I now have 2 good 496 shortblocks to sell. Since I still have my original 496 heads, and a pair of cams, I actually have a pair of nice 496 longblocks to sell. I think I can come out even or ahead by selling what I have after purchasing these. I also like the idea of the larger bore and shorter stroke to get the cubic inches then the 4.75" stroke needed to do it with the factory 496 block.

Just thought I would throw it out there for any of you guys that happen to enjoy these white elephants like I do.
How did these 540 blocks work out for you,I am thinking of using one for a new build
The following users liked this post:
Rolling7s (06-13-2023)