Proper cam choice. What does it mean? >

Proper cam choice. What does it mean?

Notices

Proper cam choice. What does it mean?

Old 06-12-2016, 09:00 PM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by buck35
Unless you have dry exhaust, you have to be choosy or have a plan in place or you will be heading down a long and painfully expensive road. I had big dreams when I bought my boat and soon realized the folly. Speed and power cost money and one thing quickly leads to another.
Type of boat, how you boat and where probably biggest determining factors if you're checkbook says so.
I hear ya there. The wet exhaust thing is always an issue. A couple local friends I had wanted to upgrade their engines, but the cam part came up. They were running wet exhaust. They faced two options. Either crutch the engine with a cam that has minimal overlap, to avoid reversion, or, go with a cam that will give them good performance , and convert to dry exhaust. Or, should I say "fully jacketed exhaust". They went with fully jacketed tails, and for noise, there are many muffler options that work with jacketed exhaust that are effective at keeping the noise down. Whether it was Gils, Stainless marine, imcos, it was a matter of welding onto and extending the existing tails, not a huge project.
Old 06-12-2016, 11:11 PM
Registered

Received 87 Likes on 49 Posts

proper cam choice,what does it mean?a lot of different opinions.for me it boils down to good max power,a broad torque curve,and a lobe profile that will live.the cam needs to work with all the other players in the engine to be a happy engine.is seems like a lot of guys worry about peak power to the extent of almost ignoring the total package.
Old 06-13-2016, 02:09 PM
Registered

Received 1,492 Likes on 807 Posts

Originally Posted by mike tkach
proper cam choice,what does it mean?a lot of different opinions.for me it boils down to good max power,a broad torque curve,and a lobe profile that will live.the cam needs to work with all the other players in the engine to be a happy engine.is seems like a lot of guys worry about peak power to the extent of almost ignoring the total package.
I think there is a lot of disinformation on a lot of these internet builds we see also. When I look at the components used vs these awesome torque and hp curves it doesn't make sense. Like a 496 NA making 700 hp on pump gas with out of the box Canfield heads and so on all nicely done under 6k.

Cam choices and custom cam profiles are always fun to experiment with but with that said if I had to guess probably about 50% of go fast engines built are probably over cam'd for their application. Some perhaps by mistake and some by design. Gotta give the know how's like Bob M. much credit for the true understanding and art of such. Still a good variety of well designed shelf cams that come with a lot r&d that work well given the right application but along with that you still need some common knowledge or its just a crap shoot.

We all like to push the limits. It's what we do and it's fun but comes with a price. Some more than others. I've made some mistakes over the years but has ultimately broadened my mind and made me truly understand more about the relationship upon components. Even though techknowledgey changes somethings simply don't.
Old 06-13-2016, 02:44 PM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

700hp 496 can be done. It would take a well planned out combo Canfield used to make a very good cylinder head. But, You arent gonna make 700hp with a short duration "i need low rpm grunt" ski boat camshaft that has 5 degrees of overlap.