new to owning a boat got a boat that needs love coming >

new to owning a boat got a boat that needs love coming

Notices

new to owning a boat got a boat that needs love coming

Old 06-13-2016, 10:00 PM
Registered

Received 1,493 Likes on 807 Posts

http://images.craigslist.org/00l0l_3...i_1200x900.jpg

Seller should pay for somebody to haul away. I've dragged some iffy stuff home in my time but... Egads!

Last edited by getrdunn; 06-13-2016 at 10:02 PM.
Old 06-13-2016, 11:00 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would seriously consider not doing anything to it and with the money you save you could by a nicer boat than the one your trying to fix. Just MHO.. Looks like a total waste of time, no offense.

Last edited by Mseuro; 06-13-2016 at 11:03 PM.
Old 06-19-2016, 01:38 PM
Registered

I'm trading a 66 dodge dart thats in the same condition for the boat so I'm not really spending any money on it, yet.

Originally Posted by getrdunn
They are HEI from what I can tell by pic on phone so disregard the points. As stated in above post it does appear this has perhaps sat a little longer than mentioned but that doesn't mean it's not resalvagable. Has it been covered, wintereized, etc. Look for cracks in exhaust manifolds as well as blocks. Blocks will more than likely be more difficult to see cracks as they usually crack under the heads btwn water jackets. Sometimes near the freeze plugs as well but not always. Just depends. Take your time before purchasing just to make sure you don't end up with something that will require more money and time than that you could find another in better shape etc.

Get inside and knock on the transom in numerous places as well as the stringers. You'll hear the difference in density very quickly. Hey all depends on what kind of a project your looking for. ive seen engines sit out in back yards in harsh environments for many years and be fine.
Old 06-19-2016, 01:43 PM
Registered

Hey Idk guys this is why I'm asking. Im trading a 66 dodge dart that I have no interest in investing in any more.. And I figured a boat would be more worth the efforts at this point in my life.
Old 06-19-2016, 01:56 PM
Registered

Rethink your thinking.
Old 06-19-2016, 02:14 PM
Registered

Your just gonna have your hands full and unless it's your full time job to get the boat water worthy and something to be proud of you'll have what seems like a month or two turn into a year or two (maybe three) and with the amount of money you'll sink into it 20-30k easily and that's doing it yourself. I assure you you'll think back and say WTF did I get myself into.

But again not everyone can afford to drop 30k nor wants to borrow the money to do such but can throw a few hundred or a grand here and there and eventually have it on the water. That's gotta be your call. I've had several boats some new, some used and also a project boat. At some point even the new become projects if u keep them long enough but love and care goes a long way.

Just will say on the project boats it becomes irritating and very expensive to do them right. You also need to be very well diversified. The second you start farming anything out it goes from being very pricey to extremely expensive rather quickly. But again if it's your means of having a boat or not go for it. Just remember the old saying "told ya so".

just make a list of what you think the boat will need and start putting numbers together.
Old 06-19-2016, 02:23 PM
Registered

That was my thinking, based on what he says other than it being ugly and beat up it seems like getting it running is where the money will go unless the motors actually fire with little headache. Ive read that eary models 70s had a lot more glass in the fiber and were build more sturdy so that had my hopes higher. Ill be working a good job soon as i get my twic card, 451 iron workers. Everyone out here has bay boats and parks them in the river which is lame in my opinion its fun but id personally rather be a small fish in the big pond than look cool in my old baja next to a pontoon boat..

He said its got both drives and floats with good floors, having not seen it in person im presuming that it just looks like **** because its been sitting open and un tended to.

Originally Posted by getrdunn
Your just gonna have your hands full and unless it's your full time job to get the boat water worthy and something to be proud of you'll have what seems like a month or two turn into a year or two (maybe three) and with the amount of money you'll sink into it 20-30k easily and that's doing it yourself. I assure you you'll think back and say WTF did I get myself into.

But again not everyone can afford to drop 30k nor wants to borrow the money to do such but can throw a few hundred or a grand here and there and eventually have it on the water. That's gotta be your call. I've had several boats some new, some used and also a project boat. At some point even the new become projects if u keep them long enough but love and care goes a long way.

Just will say on the project boats it becomes irritating and very expensive to do them right. You also need to be very well diversified. The second you start farming anything out it goes from being very pricey to extremely expensive rather quickly. But again if it's your means of having a boat or not go for it. Just remember the old saying "told ya so".

just make a list of what you think the boat will need and start putting numbers together.
Old 06-19-2016, 03:15 PM
Registered

I don't know you financial situation and I don't want to know. My boat is in great shape but I have laid out almost 25k in maintenance and small upgrades, by most standards that is not much. What all of us are trying to tell you is the boat is without a doubt TOTALLED. Best to step away imho
Old 06-19-2016, 03:29 PM
Registered

Hey can't hurt to go ck it out regardless. I must say I like your determination and ambition. Just my opinion but if the the transom and stringers are bad I'd walk regardless. I'd be really surprised if they weren't. Engines and operating drives would be a plus.

If it's something you really want to do and salvage something that would likely decay otherwise and bring back to life I respect you for that. I salvaged a 32' that I completely went through. Spent a ton of money and time and am still at it. Do I regret it? No but (possibly at times) with that said I'm still not on the water and over the last few years have spent a great deal of cash on everything but the hull at this point. The list is a mile long.

Mine however was in a back yard completely covered and shrink rapped when I spotted it. But it had sat for several years yet only 330 hours or so. Engines fired right up and drives and trans were fine. Ended up turning into a huge project however 95% of it was by choice.

Last edited by getrdunn; 06-19-2016 at 03:55 PM.
Old 06-19-2016, 03:31 PM
Registered

I have to go down to baltimore for my twic card anyway so Ill go have a look when I do

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.