Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Engine Rebuild -- What's Actually Involved >

Engine Rebuild -- What's Actually Involved

Notices

Engine Rebuild -- What's Actually Involved

Old 06-28-2016, 08:59 PM
Registered

Received 690 Likes on 276 Posts

Well if the motor was knocking and it was the marina that said 'just go easy on it', if you take it to that marina for a rebuild, it will most likely involve you dropping your shorts and grabbing your ankles.
Old 06-28-2016, 09:01 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Budman II
I had a chunk come off of the ringland of #6 and it busted off a 1/8" piece from the intake valve. Boat ran fine from idle up until about 3800 RPM. If you tried to lean on it, it would backfire through the carb. I originally thought I had a weak fuel pump causing a lean pop, or an ignition issue. Only after a compression test showed about 80 PSI in #6 did I realize I had a major issue. When I pulled it apart I found a chunk our of piston #5 as well. Compression was fine in that cyl.

If you are truly getting zero compression it almost has to be a really big hole in a piston or valve.
Interesting -- sounds exactly like my symptoms -- which felt almost like a small backfire versus metal on metal contact. I also did notice a little bit of smoke coming out of the intake.

Obviously not what I'm hoping for given that means full rebuild.

That being said, I wasn't given the compression # over the phone, so perhaps the "no compression" I was told was very low compression.

Originally Posted by mike tkach
i am not sure how an engine can run fine when it has a dead cylinder.
It seemed to -- just not above a certain RPM. It also had a hissing sound at idle, once the motor was warmed up.
Old 06-29-2016, 12:46 PM
Registered

Update: Leakdown test apparently did not reveal anything through the crankcase, so they're pulling the head.
Old 06-29-2016, 01:50 PM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

since you overheated it, you may have cracked a head and tuliped an intake valve. Just saying this to make sure they magnuflux the head because a crack can be very hard to see.
Old 06-29-2016, 05:25 PM
Registered

Received 110 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by jfried
Yeah -- the marina is doing that this afternoon... why they didn't do that as soon as they found out the compression was gone -- I'm not sure.

Doing some reading, seems like I'm hoping for something in the top end of the motor.

While I'm certainly in no position to debate this assesment (and fear it may be accurate), it does seem a bit strange to me. Even after the overheat, the boat was running absolutely fine, except with more than 3/4 throttle.
Marginal injectors may not manifest their problems until at higher throttle settings when the motor needs the fuel but the injector can't keep up. Cylinder goes lean, detonation ensues, timing is retarded which delays the combustion event, elevates exhaust temps. Intake valves begin to tulip, valves and valve seats take a royal beating as do pistons etc. You may or may not hear, or more likely feel, a slight miss at cruise speed.

Motor will also tend to lay down at the upper end.
Old 06-30-2016, 06:28 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Trash
Marginal injectors may not manifest their problems until at higher throttle settings when the motor needs the fuel but the injector can't keep up. Cylinder goes lean, detonation ensues, timing is retarded which delays the combustion event, elevates exhaust temps. Intake valves begin to tulip, valves and valve seats take a royal beating as do pistons etc. You may or may not hear, or more likely feel, a slight miss at cruise speed.

What do you mean by lay down at top end?
Old 06-30-2016, 07:13 AM
Registered

Received 127 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by Trash

Injectors are often overlooked. I just roached a piston in a 502mpi due to a #6 injector that flowed 24% less and had a chitty spray pattern. Luckily I caught it quick and could do a garage repair without full tear down. Still sucks though. Worst part is I blew it up at an easy sustained cruise not WFO. Just bought boat this spring and was already planning on full rebuilds this winter. Had notion to pull them when I first bought it and have them tested after learning how inconsistent Merc injectors are. Boat ran great every time until it didn't. Piston lost some ring land material, chunked pieces of top ring and embedded in top of piston. Heat cracked the exhaust valve. Got lucky with hardly any cylinder or head damage.

Injector testing WILL become a standard preventative maintenance item from now on.
Old 06-30-2016, 08:08 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

betting there is a valve tulped bad or piece missing..
Old 06-30-2016, 10:56 AM
Registered

What does a "tuliped" valve mean?
Old 06-30-2016, 10:59 PM
Registered

Received 793 Likes on 374 Posts

Originally Posted by jfried
What does a "tuliped" valve mean?
cylinder overheats causing exhaust valve to become malleable and extrude.

Last edited by 1MOSES1; 06-30-2016 at 11:02 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.