Head gasket? >

Head gasket?

Notices

Head gasket?

Old 07-05-2016, 03:10 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Head gasket?

502 MPI 28 hours... Steaming out of starboard tail pipe and oil dripping out of what looks to be between exhaust manifold and head... At #6 cylinder. I thought it was coming from valve cover and leaking down... But it is dry up above the manifold... Wet under.
Old 07-05-2016, 03:55 PM
SB
Registered

Received 3,116 Likes on 1,403 Posts

Haven't seen a headgasket leak oil, but since I witness new things seemingly weekly, it means I haven't seen everything.
Old 07-05-2016, 04:09 PM
Registered

I have never seen it either. At first I thought it was the oil cooler.... But I don't see milky oil coming out between the manifold and head... Just oil. Starting to think it could be the oil pressure sender leaking at high rpm and squirting on to the manifold... But this wouldn't explain the constant steam out of starboard pipe... Temps are steady at 150* don't budge no matter the rpm. Motor was built by a reputable builder also. If it were excessive blow by... I don't think the oil would leak out... But no exhaust would leak out of manifold. Going to trouble shoot tomorrow.
Old 07-05-2016, 04:14 PM
Registered

Going to start with compression check, because the boat has def lost some power and when I start the boat... It blows a puff of white smoke... That smells like oil
Old 07-05-2016, 04:59 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 99 Likes on 53 Posts

Things that come to mind.
1. look at spark plug for presence of oil burning or water (steam cleaned spark plug.
2. Do you have gaskets between head and the exhaust manifold. Could be the way that oil is getting out of the exhaust port.
3. Do leak down to check ring integrity?
4. Were new exhaust seats cut into the head?
5. Cracked head new exhaust eat letting water in.
6. Is there any oil on the head near ports 2 and 4?
7. What kind of valve cover gaskets? Cork ones that got ripped and are now leaking oil?
Old 07-06-2016, 08:28 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

valve issue...compression test right move
Old 07-07-2016, 10:23 AM
Registered

So I talked to the engine builder today and he says 100% blown head gasket between 4-6. I am going to compress 6 today and see it it blows out of 4. The reason he is so sure..... When he installed the motor... The timing was set to 12* and I am running 87 pump fuel. ... Knock sensor retarded timing... Built heat and popped gasket. I didn't know the timing was advanced... And was never told to run higher grade fuel. Going to pull heads this week and see.
Old 07-07-2016, 05:34 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I wouldn't think that 12* initial timing would be a problem. What compression? I used to run my 10 to 1 compression 509 cubic inch engines ( 2 ) on 87 octane with 36* total timing.
Old 07-07-2016, 06:11 PM
Registered

Hi,
Not sure on compression. Motor is all stock from what I understand except for srp pistons... Arp bolts. If it isn't from the timing... What else could cause this? Faulty install? Maybe it Leaned out... Possible fuel delivery?
Old 07-07-2016, 06:17 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by phughes69
Things that come to mind.
1. look at spark plug for presence of oil burning or water (steam cleaned spark plug.
2. Do you have gaskets between head and the exhaust manifold. Could be the way that oil is getting out of the exhaust port.
3. Do leak down to check ring integrity?
4. Were new exhaust seats cut into the head?
5. Cracked head new exhaust eat letting water in.
6. Is there any oil on the head near ports 2 and 4?
7. What kind of valve cover gaskets? Cork ones that got ripped and are now leaking oil?
Hi,
Yes there is a gasket between head and mani. Yes heads were completely re built including inconel valves. No oil anywhere except on #6... Bottom side of exhaust manifold. The valve cover gaskets appear to be rubber? Or something resembling rubber (Grey)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.