pressure treated wood >

pressure treated wood

Notices

pressure treated wood

Old 07-19-2016, 03:52 PM
Registered

Received 734 Likes on 329 Posts

Originally Posted by scottgjerdingen
I've grown sick of wood in boats because it always fails sooner or later, are their other options and why are they not more prevelent (I probably answered my own question)?
There are many materials out there but you need to understand their capabilities in your application, cost is another consideration. My boat builder used starboard in place of wood in many of the seating and cabinetry components.
Old 07-20-2016, 08:21 AM
Registered

Received 30 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by xl23
Is there any reason not to use pressure treated wood when rebuilding seat bottoms in a fiberglass boat?
Treated wood that you find at Home Depot is "heavy", there is a marine treated that is dry! I just used it to redo my hatch head rests. It's the stuff that they originally used in our boats. I figure mine lasted 17 years, so it would last long enough. I also applied more fiberglass in those areas that were rotted to divert water away.
Old 07-20-2016, 08:52 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by scottgjerdingen
I've grown sick of wood in boats because it always fails sooner or later, are their other options and why are they not more prevelent (I probably answered my own question)?
I know what you mean, but a lot of the failures are not directly related to the fact that they used wood, rather, it is poor construction techniques or cost cutting, "don't give a damn" measures that lead to water intrusion and rot. Running screws straight into the core without properly sealing it, cutting holes without lining the hole with resin and mat, etc. The best way to put a screw into an area that has a wood core is to first drill the hole oversized, then fill it in with epoxy, and then drill to the proper size and run the screw in. But very few boat builders will take the time to do it that way. You are lucky if the guy squirts a dab of caulk on it before he runs it in crooked.
Old 07-20-2016, 09:06 AM
Registered

Received 121 Likes on 39 Posts

I've used P/T'ed for seat backs and such. I've even used it for stringers in my Biesemeyer. Just have to buy it and let it "dry out" for a couple weeks before working with it.