Which is easier? >

Which is easier?

Notices

Which is easier?

Old 07-28-2016, 09:28 AM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Which is easier?

My outdrive currently has the lower and upper split. Seems like it would be easier to mount the upper half to the boat and then install the lower once the upper is mounted. Is this logic twisted for some reason.

Thanks
Old 07-28-2016, 09:56 AM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

Originally Posted by Scarab28
My outdrive currently has the lower and upper split. Seems like it would be easier to mount the upper half to the boat and then install the lower once the upper is mounted. Is this logic twisted for some reason.

Thanks
This is where a homemade or commercially produced drive installer obviously comes in handy. Do you have access to use or borrow one?

The problem with installing them separately is that you likely will need to twist the driveshaft as you put it into the gimbal to get it to align with the splines in the coupler. You can't really do this if your lower is not attached. You may get lucky and be able to do your tweaking by hand at the U-joints.

Give it a shot with just the upper, and if that doesn't fly, put them together and go back to it.
Old 07-28-2016, 10:17 AM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I knew there had to be something - thks
Old 07-28-2016, 11:24 AM
Registered

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Don't bother trying to put it on as 2 pieces. Never worked for me.
Get the trailer tongue to the perfect angle and height to install the drive while it sits on a bit of wood so the skeg doesn't get too hacked.
It IS a wrestling match though, drives are clumsy and big.
Old 07-28-2016, 11:46 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 46 Likes on 23 Posts

Make a stand, save your back and time
[ATTACH=CONFIG]557689[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails Which is easier?-20160724_172720.jpg  
Old 07-28-2016, 11:54 AM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

Originally Posted by VoodooRob
Make a stand, save your back and time
[ATTACH=CONFIG]557689[/ATTACH]
True that! I made one years ago very similar, and put simple casters on the bottom of it. Adjust the transom's height with the tongue stand as mentioned above, and just slide it home.

There are several threads on here over the years on building your own. This is one of the most encompassing:
http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/g...welding-3.html

I now have a Yard-Arm drive installer that I absolutely robbed (bought cheaply) from a marina that closed up. It's the MONEY for this task.

Last edited by Sydwayz; 07-28-2016 at 11:56 AM.
Old 07-28-2016, 12:52 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 46 Likes on 23 Posts

I was just at Harbor Freight getting the casters for the stand I made and they had a riding lawn mower work stand that would be perfect to weld forks on and now its an adjustable drive stand on the cheap, under $200
Old 07-28-2016, 01:24 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I bought the tractor,atv lift from harbor frieght. About 4 hours of modifying it and I have a nice stand simular to sydwayz. Hydraulic up and down with locking pins. If you have a swim platform on you boat it's the only way to go.
Old 07-28-2016, 01:26 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 814 Likes on 373 Posts

Originally Posted by Sydwayz
True that! I made one years ago very similar, and put simple casters on the bottom of it. Adjust the transom's height with the tongue stand as mentioned above, and just slide it home.

There are several threads on here over the years on building your own. This is one of the most encompassing:
http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/g...welding-3.html

I now have a Yard-Arm drive installer that I absolutely robbed (bought cheaply) from a marina that closed up. It's the MONEY for this task.
I have same exact jack and love it!
To Op, I wouldnt try to assemble drive on boat, too many chances of getting a oring or something off a little and having catastrophic oil leak!
Attached Thumbnails Which is easier?-upnorth-015.jpg   Which is easier?-oil-lines-027.jpg   Which is easier?-upnorth-012.jpg  

Old 07-28-2016, 01:31 PM
Registered

Received 143 Likes on 95 Posts

I made a wood crate for it to sit on with some scrap I had laying around and some cheap castors from the hardware store. $20 and I just adjust the boat height via the tongue Jack.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.