8.2 EFI fuel pump question

Notices

8.2 EFI fuel pump question

Old 07-29-2016, 05:24 PM
VIP Member
Platinum Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default 8.2 EFI fuel pump question

I have a early 2000s 8.2 mpi volvo with a loud hi pressure pump, after stalling many times to trying to get on plane I gave up and replaced the fuel filter then tried again still a loud whine and very strange fuel pump noise.
I brought it home and drained every bit of fuel out and checked the check valve. Took me a few days to discover that the return line for the high pressure pump was loose and letting the hi pressure pump suck air. Fast forward to a few weeks ago. I cleaned the screen on the high pressure pump and tightened the fitting on the return line. Took it back up onthe water now its a bit quieter but still whines and goes a little bit faster but still nothing over 15-20. So I just put in a new high pressure pump and put it on the hose. It sounds much better. Has anyone ever killed a fuel pump from the air gettting the line like that? I plan I testing it on the lake this weekend finger crossed since I don't have the cash for the fuel system assembly.