Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Help! 502 efi  keeps stalling >

Help! 502 efi keeps stalling

Notices

Help! 502 efi keeps stalling

Old 08-01-2016, 10:09 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Only at the dock. And it won't do anything just idling.
Old 08-01-2016, 10:29 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Replace the ICM in the distributor cap. Had the same issue, swore it was fuel related. That is about a 100 hour part, or mine looks burnt up around then. Good luck.
Old 08-01-2016, 10:42 AM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Doesn't that engine have thunderbolt ignition...Hook a timing light to engine and point it at you while running the boat ...See if the light goes out as motor dies ..Those ignition sensors ,especially if original are prone to fail...They added a ground wire coming out of sensor on replacements
Old 08-01-2016, 11:37 AM
BUP
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

Stock app should have EST ign set up. Always wise to post your engine serial for the exact set up.

Scanning the engine with no fault codes means nothing MEFI 1 , 2, and 3 are very limited on fault codes anyways. MEFI 1 only will set 7 fault codes - FYI.

You need to seperate the systems to figure out is it fuel related, Ignition related, Voltage related, sensor related to pin point your problem. Its about testing to rule out whats not your problem(s), Sounds like alot of parts buying and changing for not. Might have been cheaper and less time lost to have taken it to a real marine cert repair shop. Just saying.

Have you ran the engine on seperate fuel supply taking all your fuel side out of the mix ? Portable fuel tank with fresh gas and new fuel line with a primer bulb,

Fuel pressure readings for the engine thru out all rpms and what is the psi when the engine is stalling and stalled ?

Have you taken the kill switch out of the system for testing ?

Have you tried a new key switch ?

Do you still have power (voltage) at the electric fuel pump when it is shutting down and from a killed engine ? If so what are your voltage readings ????

Last edited by BUP; 08-01-2016 at 11:43 AM.
Old 08-01-2016, 11:54 AM
BUP
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

You changed your wiring Harness ? or switched them ? is this correct ?
Old 08-01-2016, 11:56 AM
Registered

Received 110 Likes on 82 Posts

I'm going to suggest it is electrical in nature. Fuel issues typically involve motor lean popping, stumbling, running crappy etc. Rarely do they just shut off for fuel related issues.

Having said that electrical issues can be a bear to troubleshoot. Take a good look at all the ground wires, ignition harness, kill switch and ignition switch etc.
Old 08-01-2016, 08:12 PM
Registered

I have ran it off another tank. The fuel pressure is a constant 40 pounds. When it stalls it does not stutter, and fuel pressure just drops to zero. I'm starting to think more electrical. I'm not familiar with the kill switch. I'm going to try a voltage meter tomorrow. And I've called all the certified marine mechanics in the area that have some credibility but all are at a 3 week out unfortunately. Do you know what the voltage reading I'm looking for? The battery's are new in May so if it's low that would mean the alternator correct?
Old 08-04-2016, 06:14 AM
Registered

Unfortunately looks like the ecm. I swapped some of the parts 1 at a time to the other motor and when I swapped the ecm the other motor acted up
Old 08-04-2016, 06:21 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 368 Likes on 247 Posts

Good find! Might have solved your problem now you know that!
Old 08-04-2016, 07:22 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The joy of owning twins...your own parts store.

Ken