Hours vs mileage.

Old 08-09-2016, 06:21 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

content://media/external/file/38253
Old 08-09-2016, 06:22 PM
Registered

Can't figure out how to share Craig's list or photos from my phone.
Old 08-09-2016, 06:25 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Listen to what you guys are saying! If he's buying a boat, he's going to spend,change,tinker and fix things till the day he sells it and start all over again.
And if your really going to be a boat guy you have to have more than one, so you always/maybe have one that's working. just tell the wife the 2nd one is hers.

Last edited by class6; 08-09-2016 at 06:28 PM.
Old 08-09-2016, 06:33 PM
Registered

Received 607 Likes on 275 Posts

I just bought a scan tool and put it on my 525. It showed 386 hours. I thought I was running the boat kind of hard but the rpm breakdown showed 161 of those hours were at idle speed! Only 14 hours are over 4,000 rpm. I don't know if that older engine can be scanned but if so it will tell you a lot.
Old 08-09-2016, 06:37 PM
Registered

Thanks everyone I clearly have some thinking to do.
Old 08-09-2016, 08:44 PM
Registered

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Szyd
I am no stranger to turning a wrench, fiberglass is not rocket science. But am trying to avoid to much of It right off the bat. I really want somthing I can enjoy and not work on constantly. I do have a garage big enough to work on it in the off season. I know nothing about boats other than I love being out with other's on theirs.
Lol
Thanks
listen to yourself here and you will be a happy man! The glass work is not rocket science but not at all fun.
Old 08-09-2016, 09:15 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 1,125 Likes on 475 Posts

Originally Posted by Szyd
".................. I know nothing about boats other than I love being out with other's on theirs.............."
I have a few friends who live their life that way and truthfully, they are the smartest boaters I've ever met!

That said, owning a boat brings special feelings to me. It's not like romancing a girl, it's more like pride of ownership. Once you have owned your first boat, you'll most likely go one of two ways.....

Never again!
Boats forever!

Whatever you buy, it will cost you money so be prepared. Best way to minimize the loss is to buy the latest model, lowest hour setup you can find. Stock standard boats with simple Merc power over racing and custom build engines are also cheaper in the long run. May be prudent to start with a well known brand name smaller boat in good condition so you can have a season out of it then trade up next year without risking or losing too much?

I'd like to suggest outboard power for simplicity but this is OSO and I may get flamed so I won't suggest it.

Don't give up, lots of great input here and keep us posted. There's many experienced guys here that enjoy talking over mistakes learnt and knowledge gained. If you have concerns, you'll always get helpful advice right here.

Welcome to the forum!

RR
Old 08-09-2016, 10:17 PM
Registered

Received 110 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by thirdchildhood
I just bought a scan tool and put it on my 525. It showed 386 hours. I thought I was running the boat kind of hard but the rpm breakdown showed 161 of those hours were at idle speed! Only 14 hours are over 4,000 rpm. I don't know if that older engine can be scanned but if so it will tell you a lot.
Older EFI motors won't break down the hours in each rpm band. I believe it's MEFI 3 and up that did so.
Old 08-09-2016, 11:34 PM
Registered

Received 597 Likes on 242 Posts

Where you located?

And what are they asking for your dreamboat.

Pics would help. No one is going to scoop the boat accept Duramax. But he has his hands full counting his money these days.
Old 08-10-2016, 05:46 AM
Registered

I live in Portage Lakes Ohio which is about an hour from Lake Erie.
I would love to show the listing but not sure how to post Craig's list here.

Thanks every one

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.