Chaparral Villian SLV Speed Capability >

Chaparral Villian SLV Speed Capability

Notices

Chaparral Villian SLV Speed Capability

Old 08-16-2016, 04:32 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Chaparral Villian SLV Speed Capability

Hello, I recently purchased a 1991 chaparral villian slv, thinking this would satisfy my need for speed on the water. Problem is im already wanting to go faster. I'm currently hitting 58 on gps and am wondering if this hull is capable enough and efficient enough for more?
Old 08-16-2016, 04:40 PM
Registered

Sorry, should have added some specs.
20' 3"
2800 lbs.
17 degree deadrise
Mercruiser 350 magnum
Alpha 1
Old 08-16-2016, 04:44 PM
SB
Registered

Received 3,115 Likes on 1,402 Posts

If you are a seasoned driver, definately add more power. If you are truly going 58 mph gps with a stock 260hp motor, getting near 70 with cam, heads, exhaust, intake, and carb should be relatively easy.

If this is your first boat, spend more time driving it. Things can go bad quick in a small boat even at 50mph.
Old 08-16-2016, 04:58 PM
Registered

Received 55 Likes on 34 Posts

Not to mention be ready to add hydraulic steering and nice tabs for those speeds
Old 08-16-2016, 05:13 PM
SB
Registered

Received 3,115 Likes on 1,402 Posts

Almost forgot...how dare I...to make sure boat is in good condition (wood and etc) and the steering , gimble, etc, etc is good to go also.

Agree with above too.
Old 08-16-2016, 05:28 PM
Registered

Understood, I know what will be required to achieve the speed as far as power goes and upgrading steering, trim, etc. I had it checked structurally and will get a second opinion before proceeding. My concern is, is it worth the time and money to put into this hull or should I be looking at another hull design for higher speeds? I really like the aesthetics of this boat and the layout which is why I'm wanting to stick with it if feasible.
Old 08-16-2016, 07:22 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Well, its never really worth it. If it suits you and it doesn't break the bank, go for it. I had my 91 185 Searay at 75 with 383, 430 dyno Hp and an alpha SS. I loved that boat, but the wife wanted something bigger. I just finally surpassed the old boat speed with the 23ftr' with the procharger and a 413 dart SBC that I have some bucks into. Honestly, I'd rather have the old Searay back. It is so easy with smaller boats.
Old 08-16-2016, 07:42 PM
Registered

Received 121 Likes on 66 Posts

The biggest question is, what kind of water do you boat in? There is a guy on my lake that has a 21' Rinker with a very strong 350 and nitrous. He claims it does 90 mph, but I can beat him and I only do 80, so I would say he is realistically around 74-75, Still fast. The only time he can go that fast is when the lake is 3" or less. At that speed there is almost no boat in the water. If he were to take it in Lake Michigan it would be dangerous to say the least even in 100% smooth water (Lake Michigan is never 100% smooth, there is alway some form of swell and it will get you in a little boat). If I were to give you advise, I would first decide on what size of lake and what size of waves you want to use it in at WOT! Only then can someone tell you if you should proceed or find something else.
Old 08-16-2016, 07:49 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Very good point. As much as I enjoyed the Searay, the waves did throw it around. The Stingray doesn't see WFO nearly as much as the Searay did, I don't know if it is just me getting older and am OK just knowing how fast I can go or if the lake is getting that much choppier. I used to get up to the lake Friday evening and all the fast guys were getting the yaw yaws out, and I would go out and play. I don't know if I just put up with a lot of chop or what, but I don't like to hammer around on Fridays anymore and the fast boats aren't even out anymore. I think those damn pontoons are responsible for all the chop, that or the wakeboard boats with their fat draggy asses.
Old 08-16-2016, 08:13 PM
Registered

Mostly running in a few inland reservoirs and maumee and portage rivers occasionally venture into lake erie or sandusky bay

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.