Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
CMI headers.  Are they fixable? >

CMI headers. Are they fixable?

Notices

CMI headers. Are they fixable?

Old 08-24-2016, 09:00 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ok, got it back from the welder. Looks great and THAT spot is sealed. BTW my other header is fine. Sooooooo is there another spot where these things typically leak from? I can't remove the tail pipe section to get a better look. They are siliconed and clamped on. I loosened the clamp and tried to break it free but no such luck. Any suggestion? So far this cost me only 30 bucks in fittings to rig up to the compressor and 80 bucks to have the pipe welded. I would like to see if the other leak is accessible for a weld. I know some guys say chuck these in the garbage but I can't afford a new set anytime soon. House, wedding....motor refresh this winter....priorities (not my choice of priority order!!!!)
Old 08-24-2016, 09:04 AM
Registered

I can get it to rotate/twist. Am I missing something on pulling it apart
Old 08-24-2016, 10:57 AM
Registered

Disregard the last post, sometimes you need to walk away from something for a couple minutes and come back to it. It's pretty easy to separate!
Old 08-24-2016, 12:23 PM
Registered

Received 607 Likes on 275 Posts

My '07 vintage CMIs have been trouble free. They've never seen salt water though. I pressure test them the way you did.
Old 08-27-2016, 08:47 AM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I put a water crossover across back of engine connecting both exhaust water passages together. have a ball valve in 1 hose down low from t-stat housing to manifold. when I shut off the engine, I flip open the valve. no water left above the exhaust ports while sitting...