Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Detonated piston & blew head gasket.  Now what? >

Detonated piston & blew head gasket. Now what?

Notices

Detonated piston & blew head gasket. Now what?

Old 08-24-2016, 11:32 AM
Registered

Received 1,492 Likes on 807 Posts

Originally Posted by Gannz
I'll take the heads to a shop if they need resurfaced or the guides are worn or they need seat work. All of that was just done/checked two seasons ago so I'm trying to stay optimistic. LOL

Any recommendations on some reasonably priced valves for what I have? I'm down for spending money where/if it's needed but this is also a mild build and I really don't run it hard. Not looking to squeeze every ounce of performance out of it and using the absolute best parts if they're not going to make much difference. I rarely run for more than 20 minutes at a time. From dock to our favorite beach or island is under 20 minutes. And when we're tubing it only takes me about 5 minutes to flip the kids off the tube. LOL I rarely run WOT either. Was just doing it to test a new prop.
You have to make the ultimate decision regarding parts etc however on Pistons if you can find a deal on a set of forged go for it. There's cp, je, wesico, auto tek, etc. Proper clearance and build as far as I'm concerned you'd have no issues with a mild NA build. If you go cast is lean towards the KB performance Pistons. They run for ever. In regards to rings you could just use a speed pro moly coated cast. Yes there are numerous different routes you can go there as well. If you so choose to save a little money on cast Pistons and rings in my opinion that's fine but just remember to not scrimp on the exhaust valves.

Just do your research and you'll be fine. If you have a machine/speed shop nearby have them ck block, rods etc before reassembly. Over time rods stretch and may need resizing. It's relatively inexpensive.
Old 08-24-2016, 11:58 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 87MagnumII
IMO 87 is a craps shoot. I always ran 93 in mine, especially if the gas I was buying had ethanol in it
I always use this on every fill up. Snake oil?

Last edited by Gannz; 08-24-2016 at 12:02 PM.
Old 08-24-2016, 02:59 PM
Registered
Gold Member

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Gannz
I always use this on every fill up. Snake oil?

It keeps the alcohol from separating but can't imagine it does much as far bringing the BTU's back up. I ran the Lucas branded treatment just to keep the carb from gunking up
Old 08-24-2016, 08:01 PM
Registered

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I'd get a head gasket and piston combination that nets you a .040 quench. Proper quench, fuel, timing, loading and temp go along way to staving off detonation. Then when it's together run the shorter prop first. If it makes the engine over speed go up, but not til you know you won't torque load the engine.
I have a 9.85:1 iron head forged flat top 383 that does fine that way.
I do not have a wideband either, but I just checked my plugs and they are lean, so I'm jetting up before my next run. I'm probably a little lucky/safe because my ignition has knock retard.
If your compression will end up much over 9.6:1 perhaps get some spark plugs that are one range colder. The colder plugs resist detonation.

Last edited by NHGuy; 08-24-2016 at 08:08 PM.
Old 08-24-2016, 08:50 PM
SB
Registered

Received 3,116 Likes on 1,403 Posts

Originally Posted by NHGuy
The colder plugs resist detonation.
Pre-ignition.

And I agree with what you said above.
Old 08-25-2016, 06:04 AM
Registered

Received 700 Likes on 354 Posts

the question........Detonated piston & blew head gasket. Now what?

simple

4l whippled efi bb,say in the 580ci range. end of story.go big or go home.
Old 08-25-2016, 07:55 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

really should used forged pistons, marine engines hard on them as under a load all the time..
Old 08-25-2016, 10:41 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by NHGuy
I'd get a head gasket and piston combination that nets you a .040 quench. Proper quench, fuel, timing, loading and temp go along way to staving off detonation. Then when it's together run the shorter prop first. If it makes the engine over speed go up, but not til you know you won't torque load the engine.
I have a 9.85:1 iron head forged flat top 383 that does fine that way.
I do not have a wideband either, but I just checked my plugs and they are lean, so I'm jetting up before my next run. I'm probably a little lucky/safe because my ignition has knock retard.
If your compression will end up much over 9.6:1 perhaps get some spark plugs that are one range colder. The colder plugs resist detonation.
I did get the quench as close as I could with the original build. That was a few years ago and I don't recall for sure but I couldn't get it to the ideal .040 without zero decking the block and/or using expensive D dished forged pistons and/or a thinner head gasket and/or raising the compression too high. I think the thinner head gasket would have done the trick or gotten me very close but they don't make them for a marine application. I remember seeing a few references of one company making them in the past but they don't anymore. And, most people told me it wouldn't make that much of a difference since I wasn't building a high performance race engine.
Old 08-25-2016, 10:43 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by sutphen 30
the question........Detonated piston & blew head gasket. Now what?

simple

4l whippled efi bb,say in the 580ci range. end of story.go big or go home.
Sounds good. Wanna trade?
Old 08-25-2016, 11:05 AM
Registered

All valve stems are .342 to .3425 (.343 is new)

Valve stem clearance is .002 to .0025

Heads are flat. Can’t fit a .002 feeler between a machined straight edge. Can’t even fit a .0015.

I hit the intake seats with a brass wheel on the dremel but it disintegrated before I could get to the exhausts. First pic is the one that blew up.

I stuck a flashlight into the ports with the valves seated and there was some light that came though. Not much but there was some. So, I'm thinking I just finish cleaning everything up and lap the valves and heads/valves are done. Also, since I'm running a bigger cam, going to pull the pressed in studs and replace with screw in's while heads are off.

Last edited by Gannz; 08-25-2016 at 03:48 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.