Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Lightning or GiL >

Lightning or GiL

Notices

Lightning or GiL

Old 09-12-2016, 07:07 PM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

I've got hours worth of BBC exhaust reading material here in quite a few books. I'd rather not regurgitate any of that info, I'm already known as the regurgitating googler.

But hey, check out this exhaust test from 1964 from Chevrolet Engineering Dept. Wonder if that had anything to do with the 427 Corvette exhaust setups.

Crap, here we go with the sideways pics again
Attached Thumbnails Lightning or GiL-20160910_094630.jpg  

Last edited by MILD THUNDER; 09-12-2016 at 07:09 PM.
Old 09-12-2016, 07:15 PM
SB
Registered

Received 3,116 Likes on 1,403 Posts

Originally Posted by getrdunn
Helps scavenging big time. We use to mess around with that back in the drag strip days when dynos were far and few in between. Results would always very but knowledge was always gained regardless.
Here's the thing.....reversion too.

So, even though max peak power doesn't change much, most of the curve can shift power upwards big time. One of the CMI's in Mild Thunder's pdf shows a lot more middle power than the others....I'm willing to bet this had a better sized 'collector.'

Now, staying on this, PapaSmurf had Diamond Performance's KE exhaust, and he was able to get his collector length to within a smidge of a best length and it fixed his reversion. KE's use a relatively short pipe connected to the manifold compared to many others,

I'll try to find the page,

Last edited by SB; 09-12-2016 at 07:18 PM.
Old 09-12-2016, 07:33 PM
SB
Registered

Received 3,116 Likes on 1,403 Posts

He was killing 02's due to water..ie: reversion.

Okay,here:
http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/f...epowering.html

and will quote it below:

Originally Posted by Papasmurf
Greetings Formula Brothers !

One quick lesson I learned about repowering my Formula, that I wanted to share.

If you are installing a "performance engine with O2 sensor " in a Formula with a swim platform, make sure your exhaust tails are 4 to 6" out past the transom. Myself, and a few others I know have had a unexplained vortex backdraft when using the short 2" tails we like to run sometime

Just food for thought

Originally Posted by SB
What is the length of your 4" exhaust from where it bolts to the header to the end of your 2" tailpipe and then to end of your new tailpipe ?

I may / may not have answers for you on why this is happening.
Originally Posted by Papasmurf
Old pipes where 16" total length from header
New pipes are right at 20" total length from header
Originally Posted by SB
3rd Harmonic = 38.8 inches long ... more bottom-end Torque
4th Harmonic = 19.4 inches long ... highly recommended , best Torque Curve
5th Harmonic = 9.7 inches long ... reduced Torque , more top-end HP sometimes
6th Harmonic = 4.9 inches long ... reduced Torque , not recommended

Tuned Lengths= 19.4 best and also 9.7 or 38.8

Look like you are good now !
Old 09-12-2016, 07:57 PM
Registered

Received 1,493 Likes on 807 Posts

Good find SB. I hope endeavor32 is reading this thread and or knows about the formula swim platform. He's been battling some brother sister issues with the engines in his formula. I would imagine he's read the thread but I've been wanting him to yank his swim platform off and leave it off for two years now so I can get a grin while he leaves dock and I'm working. What can I say it's much more entertaining than dealing with the public.
Old 09-12-2016, 09:41 PM
Registered

Received 121 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by getrdunn
Good find SB. I hope endeavor32 is reading this thread and or knows about the formula swim platform. He's been battling some brother sister issues with the engines in his formula. I would imagine he's read the thread but I've been wanting him to yank his swim platform off and leave it off for two years now so I can get a grin while he leaves dock and I'm working. What can I say it's much more entertaining than dealing with the public.
HA- It's in the overall plan. Once I find a nice aluminum swim platform the Silent Thunder is gone. That thing is heavy and really quiets the boat to much, even with 4 4" holes drilled into it. Also once I get the boat budget built back up, 2 sets of Eickerts are being ordered. I'll never be running a blower so for me they are perfect.

You know what is better than hearing me at the golf course? Doing circles around me with your boat! Getrdunn!
Old 09-13-2016, 06:41 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

With dry tails on any of these setups should I concern myself with reversion???

I am definitely going dry tails...
Old 09-13-2016, 06:44 AM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by G-NOTE
With dry tails on any of these setups should I concern myself with reversion???

I am definitely going dry tails...
Yes especially if you have a bravo drive and it gets stuck in reverse on a windy day it can and will revert. There is a cure for that as well... Tractor stocks or put your tails out the side of the boat.
Old 09-13-2016, 08:30 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I saw IMCO power flow have a pretty good power curve based on that chart, they are a little more cost effective then the KE stuff. Any thoughts?
Old 09-13-2016, 09:15 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am assuming that they are testing the powerflow plus model ? which is right there with the KE price wise. Imco offers three different risers for these

http://www.imcomarine.com/cal_store/...-polished.html

It would be nice to see a updated test of exhaust manifolds with the newer models thrown in including the risers/ tails that are used
Old 09-13-2016, 11:15 AM
Registered

Received 121 Likes on 66 Posts

I'm curious why you want dry tails? Dry to the tip is loud, dry is stupid loud. If I ever pull the silent thunder off my boat I'll be running mufflers!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.