How to clean oil coolers >

How to clean oil coolers

Notices

How to clean oil coolers

Old 09-12-2016, 12:54 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default How to clean oil coolers

Oil temps are getting hot after gut mud n soot in strainer Ect. Thought I'd pull the cooler and try to clean it out. Seems to be moving plenty of water. No temperature issues. Just oil. On port engine.
Old 09-12-2016, 01:24 PM
Registered

Received 1,491 Likes on 806 Posts

Rob I'd pull your drain plugs in block and flush out. That crap will pass right through the cooler in many cases and settle in your block and depending where your water stat sender is it might not even be getting the correct temp reading in which case can heat up the block etc. endevour32 and I pulled one of his engines and it was probably over 85% filled with all kinds of sand, muck etc. I'd pull drain plugs on both engines regardless cause where one was the other was right next to but just might not notice yet.

If you have oil stats then make sure that is working properly also.

Hope this helps.
John
Old 09-12-2016, 01:54 PM
Registered

Motors seem to move water fine. But will give that a shot. Also have oil stat. I'm wondering if that working right. Hp 500 oil stats. Anyone know how to change that stat on those. I believe right on the oil filter pod. ?
Old 09-12-2016, 01:55 PM
Registered

Pulled oil cooler water flows right through it. Has a mesh like front should have stopped some of the chit is a thought
Old 09-12-2016, 04:55 PM
Registered

Received 1,491 Likes on 806 Posts

what kind of temps were you seeing? You running stock cooling or crossover with bypass? Also if you don't have figured out before next trip out feel oil hoses that run to cooler and see if both port and starboard feel the same. It's always possible just a sender or gauge but... Something to consider anyway. Do you have any way to measure temps? IR temp gun. Looks like a new tool I need for the tool box myself. Pretty reasonable and handy.
Old 09-12-2016, 05:48 PM
Registered

250 quick. Other motor runs never above 210. Complete 750 us coolers. Something plugged up or not working right. I know it's getting hot my oil pressure suffers slightly on the hot oil. This has to get fiqired out :-). I want my oil at 210 220 tops.