Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Cam and valvetrain longevity....??? low duration high lift... >

Cam and valvetrain longevity....??? low duration high lift...

Notices

Cam and valvetrain longevity....??? low duration high lift...

Old 10-14-2016, 10:42 AM
bck
Charter Member#568
Charter Member

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

As far as me not using my boat and engines and how much speed I gained. I spent the entire summer changing my father's diapers while he died at home from a brain tumor. My engines have never left the builders shop. The boat ran 90 with 650 hp. Now they have 700. I'm comfortable with the accuracy of the builders dyno. I believe the power increased accordingly with each change in the parts combo. The engines were run by 2 different people on 2 different dynos at different times of the year a total of 3 times. I think by looking at all those pulls I posted most would agree the power changed accordingly as the parts were changed. His correction factor was based on his weather station info which was live and constantly updating in the software not manually entered.

Last edited by bck; 10-14-2016 at 10:53 AM.
Old 10-14-2016, 10:55 AM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

Sorry to hear about your fathers passing.

My rebuttals to you, were based on, the fact, that this thread, has pretty much stayed on tract, or at least tried to, with information and what not. Sure theres lots of speculation as well.

When cam motion themselves said there appears to be a an issue with heat treating , or lobe taper from the pictures, the dozens of others who chimed in with lobe wear issues, kinda makes one believe, there is some underlying issue at hand.

Im sure if tim didnt find the issue, the engines would be back in the boat and ran for another season at 72mph. The start of this thread was about reliability, and who has ran a cam like his, successfully. That has not been answered yet.

The findings from cam motion and a separate cam grinder, should shed light on the lobe wear issue.

The only way to determine whether the cam is leaving power, and how much power, on the table, will never be known. U less you do a direct cam swap (like some have done here in this thread) , its all speculation.

From the sounds of things, it appears tim is going to be changing cams, and cleaning up the heads, and maybe changing intake /carb.

What would be interesting, is if he installs new cams, freshens heads, and goes back to the dyno. Does a few pulls. Then play with induction.
Old 10-14-2016, 11:03 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What did the heads look like upon removal? Pounded seats as others have mentioned or not too bad.
Old 10-14-2016, 11:05 AM
SB
Registered

Received 3,116 Likes on 1,403 Posts

MAN, sorry to hear that BCK. God bless you and your family. He is in better hands now. Definitely no way to live.
Old 10-14-2016, 11:26 AM
Registered

Received 690 Likes on 276 Posts

Originally Posted by bck
As far as me not using my boat and engines and how much speed I gained. I spent the entire summer changing my father's diapers while he died at home from a brain tumor. My engines have never left the builders shop. The boat ran 90 with 650 hp. Now they have 700. I'm comfortable with the accuracy of the builders dyno. I believe the power increased accordingly with each change in the parts combo. The engines were run by 2 different people on 2 different dynos at different times of the year a total of 3 times. I think by looking at all those pulls I posted most would agree the power changed accordingly as the parts were changed. His correction factor was based on his weather station info which was live and constantly updating in the software not manually entered.
Thats a rough one. but is was good that you were able to be there for your dad instead of strangers and nurse rachet. I work for hospice and caring family members mean so much .
Old 10-14-2016, 11:26 AM
bck
Charter Member#568
Charter Member

Originally Posted by Full Force
I see you still hold bob on a peditsool, it's fine... The pint in the end is I spent a lot of money to have nothing but problems, very few of them are my fault at all, if you open up your engines after 65 hours and have issues let's see how you feel, I take heat for stuff and that's fine, but have the balls to put my story out there for others to learn... If that's a huge problem so be it, but I can tell you one thing, not one person would be ok with finding the bs I have found and lack of performance I have gotten, and the nonstop worrying....
You remember a thread I started called "what do these bearings tell you"? You posted in it. My engines were ruined. I posted all the info about it. You're not the only one who had problems and put up a post. Difference is I started one thread to accurately determine what caused the failure. The diagnosis of that failure ended up being made in real life by professionals not on the internet and I moved on. In my case I didn't spend a year pointing fingers at others for every conceivable issue I had. I understood that a couple parties were to blame. No one person was at fault, I contributed to my own problems as well as the person who built the engines.
Old 10-14-2016, 11:32 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 204 Likes on 132 Posts

I have taken blame for things that were my fault, and others get it for things not my fault...

I started the thread to get answers got many... But still not the one I really wanted

Who's got solid hours logged on cams like mine... Crickets...

Originally Posted by bck
You remember a thread I started called "what do these bearings tell you"? You posted in it. My engines were ruined. I posted all the info about it. You're not the only one who had problems and put up a post. Difference is I started one thread to accurately determine what caused the failure. The diagnosis of that failure ended up being made in real life by professionals not on the internet and I moved on. In my case I didn't spend a year pointing fingers at others for every conceivable issue I had. I understood that a couple parties were to blame. No one person was at fault, I contributed to my own problems as well as the person who built the engines.
Old 10-14-2016, 11:35 AM
bck
Charter Member#568
Charter Member

Thank you guys for the kind words. It has not been a good year. I did however get to run in our poker run yet a again on a beautiful boat courtesy of Vance Hagen. The only bad thing is for the second year it made me want to sell the Scarab and by a 38 Hustler with blown merc power.

Last edited by bck; 10-14-2016 at 11:37 AM.
Old 10-14-2016, 11:40 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 204 Likes on 132 Posts

Bck, sorry to hear about father... I guess sometimes we all get wrapped up in bs and forget things that really matter... I was upset about my engines last week and then stopped and thought about a close friend going through stage 4 cancer at 23... Life is t too bad at all...

Again, sorry to hear
Old 10-14-2016, 11:46 AM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

Life is short, we must enjoy it. The purpose of these threads, should be to help others. Watching person after person lose thousands of dollars, engine meltdowns, causing stress at home, and all that, really takes the fun out of this hobby.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.