Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Cam and valvetrain longevity....??? low duration high lift... >

Cam and valvetrain longevity....??? low duration high lift...

Notices

Cam and valvetrain longevity....??? low duration high lift...

Old 11-29-2016, 07:05 PM
Registered

Received 736 Likes on 331 Posts

Originally Posted by 14 apache
Lol it may not be a lifter problem or a camshaft maybe a block problem. Maybe the lifte bores are on the wrong plane from each other. Nobody from a company is going to say what they think here. That's why he said everything needs to be inspected.
Yep he will not want to come back.
Yup, get a surface, the block and all the other piece parts and someone that knows first article inspection.
or
You can throw some chicken bones on the ground and look at them.
Old 11-29-2016, 07:34 PM
Registered

Received 690 Likes on 276 Posts

This is like journeying to Salem...
Old 11-29-2016, 07:45 PM
Registered

Received 1,217 Likes on 586 Posts

One thing I noticed with my MK/Cam Motion cams is there is no dip in the base circle.
My Ultradynes had it, the Comps and Cranes have had it. I've tried to research it on the net but get conflicting info.
Does it act like an absorber when the roller goes through the thin layer of oil to readying it for the steep ramp? Oil to cool the lobe?
Just curious

Edit. I'm only on page 89. You guys need to change your settings...
Old 11-29-2016, 07:51 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Interceptor
Yup, get a surface, the block and all the other piece parts and someone that knows first article inspection.
or
You can throw some chicken bones on the ground and look at them.
Lol.
Old 11-29-2016, 07:54 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Rookie
One thing I noticed with my MK/Cam Motion cams is there is no dip in the base circle.
My Ultradynes had it, the Comps and Cranes have had it. I've tried to research it on the net but get conflicting info.
Does it act like an absorber when the roller goes through the thin layer of oil to readying it for the steep ramp? Oil to cool the lobe?
Just curious

Edit. I'm only on page 89. You guys need to change your settings...
You better go to grocery store and buy popcorn or beer you have a long way to go.
Old 11-29-2016, 08:00 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 204 Likes on 132 Posts

So basically 177 pages in we have no long term success so far on M/K cams with specs like mine...
Old 11-29-2016, 08:03 PM
Registered

Received 703 Likes on 357 Posts

Originally Posted by Havoc40
I'd like to know the source LOL! Seriously...1010? That wouldn't last 20min in an engine. They're made from 52100.

We've been selling to these guys for years. Nothing new. Been doing this for longer than Morel has been a brand.

The backstory is easy. They were having issues with Morel and switched. End of story. Call and ask.
source was probably a couple of dildos w/ the initials,cs and sf,the ultimate salesmen.
Old 11-29-2016, 08:05 PM
Registered

Received 1,494 Likes on 808 Posts

Umm. Shoot I forgot what I was gonna say.... Oh ya Tim where do you stand with cams at the moment. Are they in your possession or in Cam Motion. Now don't freak out if I missed a post but tend to get lost on this thread as much tha has been discussed. Personally I'd send the cams and lifters to CM and a block off to a reputable machine shop. Maybe this is already in progress an I missed the post. Way to much guessing going on here and nothing gained.
Old 11-29-2016, 08:10 PM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Interceptor
Obviously you're the all knowing expert here, dick move on your part.
I was a dik, I admit it. I apologize for that.

See, heres the issue I have. Alot of you guys, only know what is posted HERE, for you to read. I have been filled with calls, emails, messages, and so on, on so many of these topics. I already knew what Randy's opinion was on the failure, or issue here was.

Coming here as an Engineer, everyone wants to hear an Engineers standpoint on the topic. But, he doesn't want to say publicly, what, in his professional opinion, is the problem here. Now, I can understand that. However, theres hundreds of people who are reading this thread, also looking for an answer to the problem, and will never get to know it. For years, there have been issues that have been kept off the forum here, issues that could have saved many thousands of dollars, and lost summers of boating time, because of who's wallets were being lined, or whos business was being protected.

I simply mentioned that maybe the lifter, combined with that cam profile, was a possible issue. Tim, obviously didn't care to hear that, or possible lifter bore indexing issues, or really anything other than "bobs cam sucks". It no secret I'm not a fan of bob m, but it be nice to see tim have an engine that can make it past 50 hours. I mean for christ sake, we are talking about a 630hp 540 here. This isn't some new exotic engine build combo, or shouldn't be at least.

Tim's had some good input here from guys like 14 apache, abones, black baja, and several others. He didn't want to hear about any of it. So, yesterday, the lifter topic got brought up for the first time in this thread, and now all of a sudden, the engineer from Johnsons phone was blowing up , and he had to chime in? He's known about this scenerio for months!

Either way, I get it. He's backing his product, and making sure it isn't getting dragged thru the mud. As far as the morel lifters go, I personally, could not be happier with them. They are in my 800hp engines, that have turned well over 6,000 rpm many times. They've lived with closed to 500 lbs of open pressure, and have had no issues. Icdeppl, has them in his 900hp engines, also seen 6,000 plus rpm many times. We've ran 15w50, 20w50, straight 50, thru them. On the dyno, they've seen 6500-6600rpm pull after pull. We pull our stuff apart , neither his crane 8620 cams, or my crower 8620 cams, have lobe wear like some of these photos. These cams have been around the block to, its not like they had one season on them. The lifters were installed 5-6 years ago, and are still going strong. I also have quite a few friends who have ran them for many years, going back 10 years at least, without issue. So, when I hear about how the "forks" are a weak design, and the .750 wheel is useless, I kinda disagree. I'm pretty sure the engineers at Morel, Lunati, Howards, and some of the many other companies that use morel lifters successfully, would also . Pointing out how your lifter is superior, and how companies like isky and crower switched because of quality issues at morel, seems a bit of a jab to me.

I don't think Black Baja, mentioning how those comp cams, looked fine after being in an engine with morels for years, then switched out and ran with johnson lifters, and all of a sudden the lobes looked like they do, was with some secret agenda to bash johnson lifters. It was an observation. One he felt worth mentioning. If I had a set of firestone tires, that were on my car for 30k miles, and looked brand new, and took them off, and put them on my buddys car, and 2k miles later, had worn out shoulders and looked like crap, I wouldn't be looking at the tires, I'd be looking at his alignment.

But hey, everyone told Timmy his engines would be FIIIINNNNNEEEE, and to stop listening to the keyboard cowboys.....just go run them.......Well, they weren't fine. His cams look like crap, and so do his exhaust seats, after 50 hours. Again, a 630hp 540.

Tim, you obviously feel that you have found out why your cams look the way they do, and you also realized, nobody here is successfully running that cam setup, or at least going to post about it. You don't really care to hear any more suggestions on the topic. So why don't we give it one final post about how Bob M royally screwed you over, and put this thread to rest already.
Old 11-29-2016, 08:14 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 204 Likes on 132 Posts

Cams are being shipped to CM tomorrow
Lifters to Randy tomorrow
Shortblocks are not being touched.

Originally Posted by getrdunn
Umm. Shoot I forgot what I was gonna say.... Oh ya Tim where do you stand with cams at the moment. Are they in your possession or in Cam Motion. Now don't freak out if I missed a post but tend to get lost on this thread as much tha has been discussed. Personally I'd send the cams and lifters to CM and a block off to a reputable machine shop. Maybe this is already in progress an I missed the post. Way to much guessing going on here and nothing gained.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.