Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Cam and valvetrain longevity....??? low duration high lift... >

Cam and valvetrain longevity....??? low duration high lift...

Notices

Cam and valvetrain longevity....??? low duration high lift...

Old 09-21-2016, 09:05 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 204 Likes on 132 Posts

Before buying what?
Originally Posted by mmb
Exactly! Now Tim knows when to raise the red flag when someone is selling him parts. I am trying to point him in a direction of education. I'm sure he spoke to you about it before buying and surprised you didn't say STOP wtf is going on here.
Old 09-21-2016, 09:08 AM
mmb
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

All your parts from bob
Old 09-21-2016, 09:16 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 3,050 Likes on 1,357 Posts

Originally Posted by MILD THUNDER
We can talk about csa's, flow numbers, intake heights, compression ratios, and all thst until we are blue in the face.

What i find hard to argue with, is when all that was engineered into a build, and you simply yank that cam out, and swap it out, and see significant gains in power, with no other changes to the combo, that is what i find hard to argue about.

Articles on engine design are stemmed from real world testing, not the other way around.
I live about 45 minutes from one of the best drag, circle track engine builders in the Midwest ( Matt Driskell ) my buddies 632 making 1430hp with two 4 barrel carbs on race gas, no juice, but I know he's had a bad build or two in his carrier, point is no one is perfect, but when folks make mistakes in this business the end user pay's the price.

Last edited by F-2 Speedy; 09-21-2016 at 09:25 AM.
Old 09-21-2016, 09:20 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

At the time of engine parts discussions Joe, Dan and many others were still good with Bob, a lot of these issues did not surface until my failure of last spring, joe and others will say "then I thought bob was good" we all since learned that he's not as good as he thinks, just like learning more about cams for myself, learning changes your way of thinking, I GAURANTEE if joe at the time said dude bobs not for a it all figured out and said "do and buy this" I would have with track record proof, I really regret not involving my good friend bill that did vintage's engine, all advice he and victory gave me bob told me was not good, see where that got me. I am listening to proven track records now none other, joe making 850 hp on a 468 shoes me he knows what he's talking about, same as vintage making 570+ on a 512... My buddy designed it his dad is the person my heads and intake will go to.

Originally Posted by mmb
All your parts from bob
Old 09-21-2016, 09:28 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 3,050 Likes on 1,357 Posts

Originally Posted by Full Force
At the time of engine parts discussions Joe, Dan and many others were still good with Bob, a lot of these issues did not surface until my failure of last spring, joe and others will say "then I thought bob was good" we all since learned that he's not as good as he thinks, just like learning more about cams for myself, learning changes your way of thinking, I GAURANTEE if joe at the time said dude bobs not for a it all figured out and said "do and buy this" I would have with track record proof, I really regret not involving my good friend bill that did vintage's engine, all advice he and victory gave me bob told me was not good, see where that got me. I am listening to proven track records now none other, joe making 850 hp on a 468 shoes me he knows what he's talking about, same as vintage making 570+ on a 512... My buddy designed it his dad is the person my heads and intake will go to.
So who else saw the cam spec's before they were ground ?
Old 09-21-2016, 09:31 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

What are you talking about? I told bob I wanted 700 hp at 6000.... He did the rest, can specs were not given until I got the cams... Bob "didn't want tnem discussed" are exact words.
Originally Posted by 33outlawsst
So who else saw the cam spec's before they were ground ?
Old 09-21-2016, 09:33 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

When you pay someone to figure it out they should deliver, if not then deal with the issues...

If I install a fiber optic cable or data cable and it's not working up to spec, I must replace, repair, or make it work... If I don't... Or have a reason why, then I deal with the backlash.
Old 09-21-2016, 09:53 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

To be fair, I have an MK cam in my 512 and we were given the specs before we issued the PO.

We talked to 3 cam guys. Dave crower, MK and Cam Motion directly. All three were given the air flow numbers, all the engine components and the intended usage data. All three were remarkably close in their proposed profiles. In the end, we bought the cam, springs and lifters from MK as he owned the cores for the 55mm cams (it's harder to source 55mm cam cores in short duration lobe configuration as most guys are 260 plus with a 55mm roller as they are mostly used in more radical engines)

Also, to be fair and keep this real, I only have dyno time on my junk as of now.
Old 09-21-2016, 09:56 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

I thought bill said he and kip came up with grind and bob had core was only reason MK was involved...
Old 09-21-2016, 10:01 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Full Force
I thought bill said he and kip came up with grind and bob had core was only reason MK was involved...
Incorrect.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.