454 oval port build results >

454 oval port build results

Notices

454 oval port build results

Old 10-29-2016, 12:03 PM
Registered

Received 73 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by MILD THUNDER
Anything you can do to cool the charge down, is a win.

Icdedppl has 10-71 blowers on his 540s. Hes underdriving them, making 6 or 7lbs of boost. We were out 2 weeks ago, running the boat. I watched his intake air temps while he drove. The intake temps, were 135ish at full throttle, and most of the rpm range. They dont even begin creeping up when you hold the throttles down for a while. No intercooler on his setup.

135* isnt all that bad. Most on the internet hear the word "roots" blower, and immediately start talking about 200+ intake air temps, usually supported by zero actual data, jusy what they heard. The style and size of the blower has alot to do with it.

Overall, im not super impressed with my superchiller intercoolers. My intake temps are in the 110-120 range, which for a roots is not too bad. Realistically, they prob knocked off 20-30 degrees from my iat's. I got a good deal on them from a friend, but not sure id invest 3 to 4g on them for my setup if i was buying new. The superchiller also puts a big restriction in the intake tract, which requires you to speed the blower up to overcome that.

Id love to see what the intake temps are , in say, a non intercooled 177 blower setup.
Interesting. my engine room is below the cockpit floor the the air has a long concoluted route to take ... bet my temps would be stupid high herein sunny florida
Old 10-29-2016, 12:26 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by mike tkach
i may be wrong but i don,t think detroit uses the same coolant to cool the intercooler.when you say detroit,who are you talking about?

Yes some do and some don't deepens on the HP and who did the motors. Have a 6v92 in my shop uses engine coolant to cool charge.
Old 10-29-2016, 01:10 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 3,038 Likes on 1,352 Posts

Originally Posted by 14 apache
Yes some do and some don't deepens on the HP and who did the motors. Have a 6v92 in my shop uses engine coolant to cool charge.
Thats a Detroit no ??
Old 10-29-2016, 01:26 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Yes it is. A 8V92 towers Johnson 710hp has salt water through the intercooler before the blower.
The 6V92 has only a after cooler in the block under the blower. Think the tempter after some turbos is approaching 400 degrees.
Old 10-29-2016, 02:24 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 3,038 Likes on 1,352 Posts

I worked @ Detroit Diesel back in the day, Im trying to find an old worn out blower housing to use as a mail box
Old 10-31-2016, 11:03 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 33outlawsst
I worked @ Detroit Diesel back in the day, Im trying to find an old worn out blower housing to use as a mail box
Hell yea . Some butthead hits that there is going to be some collateral damage