Supercharged 540 Camshaft >

Supercharged 540 Camshaft

Notices

Supercharged 540 Camshaft

Old 12-22-2016, 08:11 PM
Registered

Received 1,493 Likes on 807 Posts

Originally Posted by powermizer
That 420 blower must have low parasitic loss.
That's a good one....

They can be converted to a three helix rotor also and are said to be about 20% more efficient.
Old 12-22-2016, 08:19 PM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

That 420 blower must have low parasitic loss.
Im driving mine at 18% over, with a 10 Rib serpentine belt, with zero issues. I don't think they take nearly the power to turn, guys think they do.

heres some parasitic numbers from a 6-71
Attached Thumbnails Supercharged 540 Camshaft-roots671test.jpg  
Old 12-22-2016, 08:26 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Black Baja
Who at Comp gave you this recommendation?
nothing surprises me anymore. Might be ok on a NA 330
Old 12-22-2016, 08:30 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by MILD THUNDER
Here's a 548ci, with AFR 325 heads, with around 8.5lbs of boost. 420 Mega Blower, with chiller. Hyd roller, I do not recall the cam specs.
I've gotta stop looking at these SC build numbers and you know why!!! Wtf.... dish Pistons one week and dome the next. Fken ah.
Old 12-22-2016, 08:32 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by getrdunn
That's a good one....

They can be converted to a three helix rotor also and are said to be about 20% more efficient.
Im not sure I buy that. B&M did some extensive testing on a 2 lobe, vs 3 lobe GMC 671 blower, when developing the 420 Megablower. There just wasnt much difference. The concept behind the two lobe rotor, is that the rotors take up less space inside the case, which allow for more air to be available per revolution.

I think the 420 is a good blower, but I don't know if I would invest the money to do a bunch of mods to it, aside from a good rebuild, fresh strips, etc. The couplers and main shaft are the weak link . Blower shop does offer a Billet front cover, and option to run their snout on them, as well as replacement shaft and coupler. For a low boost boat application, they work pretty good. I don't think that be the blower I want for a blown alcohol setup though, with high overdrive/boost, and lots of stress on the stock snout, etc.

The one thing I like about the straight 2 lobe rotors, is the fuel distribution is good. You really don't get the big variance from front to rear cylinders with fuel distribution, or bank to bank, like you do with a twisted rotor that pushes the charge to one end.
Old 12-22-2016, 08:33 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by getrdunn
I've gotta stop looking at these SC build numbers and you know why!!! Wtf.... dish Pistons one week and dome the next. Fken ah.
Mild Valvetrain that lives long time, with some boost, is hard to beat. Mercury marine knows this
Old 12-22-2016, 08:40 PM
Registered

Im not sure I buy that. B&M did some extensive testing on a 2 lobe, vs 3 lobe GMC 671 blower, when developing the 420 Megablower. There just wasnt much difference. The concept behind the two lobe rotor, is that the rotors take up less space inside the case, which allow for more air to be available per revolution.

I think the 420 is a good blower, but I don't know if I would invest the money to do a bunch of mods to it, aside from a good rebuild, fresh strips, etc. The couplers and main shaft are the weak link . Blower shop does offer a Billet front cover, and option to run their snout on them, as well as replacement shaft and coupler. For a low boost boat application, they work pretty good. I don't think that be the blower I want for a blown alcohol setup though, with high overdrive/boost, and lots of stress on the stock snout, etc.

The one thing I like about the straight 2 lobe rotors, is the fuel distribution is good. You really don't get the big variance from front to rear cylinders with fuel distribution, or bank to bank, like you do with a twisted rotor that pushes the charge to one end.
Your comments make complete sense. I only brought up the three because I've read about guys doing complete mod overhauls on them "for what".? I would think the heat would contribute also. Good post MT.
Old 12-22-2016, 08:52 PM
Registered

Mild Valvetrain that lives long time, with some boost, is hard to beat. Mercury marine knows this
Right again but... something to be said about a nasty sounding roller while taking full advantage of dry pipes isn't all bad either. I'm surprised how much blowers have gone up in price over the years. I get what your saying though. If I go SC I might have to consider some saddle tanks!!!
Old 12-23-2016, 06:02 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just need to know the thoughts on what RPM do we want to run the engine at after seeing what a dyno shows. Are we looking for peak HP or peak torque or somewhere in between. I had always thought running at peak torque was stressful on the engine. Please give me your thoughts. Thanks!
Old 12-23-2016, 08:56 PM
Registered

I just need to know the thoughts on what RPM do we want to run the engine at after seeing what a dyno shows. Are we looking for peak HP or peak torque or somewhere in between. I had always thought running at peak torque was stressful on the engine. Please give me your thoughts. Thanks!
Some say prop to peak HP. Personally I prefer to prop 300 + - rpm under peak hp and with previous builds puts me btwn 1,000-1,500 rpm above peak torque. Just keeping it simple. sometimes it takes a day on the water with a handful of props to see what makes your boat happy.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.