Registered

Received 1,493 Likes on 807 Posts

Originally Posted by MILD THUNDER
And cheaper to manufacture
Don't forget shipping cost.
Old 01-15-2017, 02:45 PM
Registered

Received 690 Likes on 276 Posts

Soooo... what are we looking at here? As it seems everything I thought I knew about alum heads is wrong. Do I want promaxxs or something like EQ's? THe cost difference seems negligible between, getting them both bare and having them set up.
Old 01-15-2017, 03:04 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by phragle
Soooo... what are we looking at here? As it seems everything I thought I knew about alum heads is wrong. Do I want promaxxs or something like EQ's? THe cost difference seems negligible between, getting them both bare and having them set up.
Call valako 616-889-0028. A true professional and artist when it comes to heads. That's all he's ever done and loves to make power.
Old 01-15-2017, 03:07 PM
Registered

I know he's ported and flowed just about every head on the market including EQs and uses the them on builds also. Just depends on what his customer is looking for.
Old 01-15-2017, 03:22 PM
Registered

Received 121 Likes on 66 Posts

If the price is close to the same why would you want iron? Repairing is difficult and expensive if even possible, they are way heavier, porting is going to cost way more, I just don't see any advantages. Aluminum is very ridged so I don't buy that it makes the block stiffer. Sterling uses aluminum heads on their twin turbo 1800 hp engine. I'm sure they know a thing or two about heads.
Old 01-15-2017, 03:27 PM
Registered

Received 690 Likes on 276 Posts

Nothing against Valako, and I am sure he is very good at heads... But isn't this a simple question on a simple build and I am looking for basic explanation and advice that should be available here. THis should be a basic combination that has been done by many here for the last 10-15 years. I dont need a custom cam, or majorly worked heads. It should be a basic bolt together combo (after checking things) as I learn and build my first motor.

I see it as Im building a cheese burger, I shouldnt need organic, non gmo exotic ingredients And I shouldn't need to call Chef Bobby Fley for advice. I m just looking for some grilling tips from they guys I drink beer with in that back yard...

I hope that makes sense and doesn't seem argumentative, its not meant to be. In my eyes I see a lot of the problems that crop up stemming from somebody trying to make a cheese burger and getting all gourmet, ending up with ingredients that dont mesh.

I dnt mean to derail this whole thread so I will start another one...

Last edited by phragle; 01-15-2017 at 03:30 PM.
Old 01-15-2017, 03:36 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by phragle
Nothing against Valako, and I am sure he is very good at heads... But isn't this a simple question on a simple build and I am looking for basic explanation and advice that should be available here. THis should be a basic combination that has been done by many here for the last 10-15 years. I dont need a custom cam, or majorly worked heads. It should be a basic bolt together combo (after checking things) as I learn and build my first motor.

I see it as Im building a cheese burger, I shouldnt need organic, non gmo exotic ingredients And I shouldn't need to call Chef Bobby Fley for advice. I m just looking for some grilling tips from they guys I drink beer with in that back yard...

I hope that makes sense and doesn't seem argumentative, its not meant to be. In my eyes I see a lot of the problems that crop up stemming from somebody trying to make a cheese burger and getting all gourmet, ending up with ingredients that dont mesh.

I dnt mean to derail this whole thread so I will start another one...
With your build you could go either way. Just depends on if you want aluminum or iron. Your not building anything exotic or trying to squeeze every bit of HP you can so I'd just go iron.

Btw in regards to comparing cheeseburgers be careful. I here Burger King uses horse meant. Just sayin...

Last edited by getrdunn; 01-15-2017 at 03:39 PM.
Old 01-15-2017, 04:02 PM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

Phragle, Ive had the 454 cheeseburgers. for quite some time too. Ive had it with 177 blowers, 250 blowers, 420 blowers, intercoolers, not intercooled, aluminum heads, iron heads, msd igntions, crane ignitions, daytona ignitions, composition head gaskets, mls head gaskets, gm rods, manley rods, crane rockers, comp steel rockers, .080 wall pushrods, .135 pushrods, comp cams lifters, morel lifters, 8:1 static, 9:1 static, 4 lbs boost, 6lbs, 7 lbs, 9lbs, and so on.

I havent had to do any repairs to the heads, from a damage standpoint. I did have to replace the valve seats in the dart alum heads, and they were sunk in pretty good over time. After 15 years of freshwater only use, the aluminum heads were getting pretty corroded. They also had some brinneling going on.

My choice to go iron, was simple. They would suit my performance goals, be durable, and not cost a chit ton. At the time, the only heads that were comparable performance wise in aluminum, were darts, afrs, etc. A bare set of afr 305s or 325s, were in the 2500 a pair bare price range. A set of the EQ heads, were under 900 delivered to my door. Thats 1600 bucks, x2, is 3200 dollars. I could do alot with 3200 bucks.

I wasn't too concerned with weight. The iron heads do add 70lbs per engine over aluminum. I even went further. I added iron heads, and intercoolers, and big gaffrig mufflers. Easily added 250-300 lbs to my stern. Didnt seem to hurt me much, considering im going a solid 8+mph faster, with 250 more lbs, another water pickup dragging thru water, and knocked a full point of static out of the engines.

The promaxx heads, are interesting , as the cost is good!

As far as sterling using alum heads on their big power engines, that is def true. As well as lot of big power engines using aluminum heads. One thing to consider, i dont know how many iron head castings are out there that will support 1800hp. Like iron big chief heads, etc.

I think its mostly personal preference. Either head will work on your engines. Mercury used iron heads on the 525sc, 575sci, 600sc, 800sc, and they worked fine, and lasted many years. They do use aluminum heads on the 525, 700sci, etc now, but they also have closed cooling.

What valve seats come in the promaxx heads ?
Old 01-15-2017, 05:51 PM
Registered

Ductile iron seats.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.