Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Impermeable Masking (Type) Tape? >

Impermeable Masking (Type) Tape?

Notices

Impermeable Masking (Type) Tape?

Old 01-22-2017, 04:16 PM
Registered

Received 76 Likes on 54 Posts
Default Impermeable Masking (Type) Tape?

I need to mask off my wrap edge so I can use Interlux 202 dewaxer on the deck prior to rolling on anti-skid coating. The edge of the wrap ends at old gel coat which will be coated with the anti-skid, I.E. wrap butted up against the anti-skid. The anti-skid directions say to use a dewaxer if the gel has been waxed within the past 5 years, which is in addition to washing with dish soap while scuffing with a Scotchbrite pad. I'm of the feeling the dewaxer will cause the wrap edge to lift. Obviously painters tape won't keep the dewaxer off the wrap.

Is there an impermeable tape product out there that anyone has experience with which will fill my need? At this juncture the only thing I can think of is packing tape as I'm a new boater and not privy to all the products available for such needs. Thanks for any help you can lend.

Keith
Old 01-22-2017, 05:37 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have found the tape used for shrink wrapping is about as tough as it comes, seals good and comes off without leaving any adhesive behind. I would test it first.
Old 01-22-2017, 07:38 PM
Registered

Received 1,491 Likes on 806 Posts

What kind of dewaxer. I would think acetone would dry very quickly as wipe on, wipe off small areas at a time. You don't think painters tape would hold up to dewaxer? Also would be nice to experiment somewhere if you had some pieces of boat wrap you could apply on boat somewhere to experiment.
Old 01-22-2017, 07:53 PM
Registered

Received 1,491 Likes on 806 Posts

I've painted for years and never really liked many products for wax removal. Dawn dish soap does a pretty good job itself especially if you used with the burgundy scotchbrite pad. I learned a long time ago there's many times when you over prep and over concerned on the end result the more problems seem to occur. I paint something like a wheel barrel and it turns out like a show car finish. That antiskid is pretty forgiving also.
Old 02-06-2017, 08:37 PM
Registered

Received 76 Likes on 54 Posts

Tape worked like a charm! I'll never use painters tape again.

Getrdunn, the anti skid said to specifically use a dewaxing agent in addition to dish soap and a scotch brite pad. The purpose of Interlux 202 is to release the wax and you quickly wipe off the excess that contains the wax with a clean rag. The can specifically says not to let it dry as the wax will still be on the surface.