Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Q & A (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-q-20/)
-   -   Stainless marine to stellings width issues? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-q/344381-stainless-marine-stellings-width-issues.html)

Full Force 02-01-2017 08:52 PM

Stainless marine to stellings width issues?

If I got Stellings is there any width issues compared to stainless marine? hate to sell off my stuff then find out I would have issues fitting stellings or any other header...??

BenPerfected 02-01-2017 09:10 PM

My experience changing the exhaust our exhaust from Gil to CMI is you will need new custom tail pipes to fit the existing transom holes. We made mock ups with PCV pipe but it was pretty much a waste of time. Ended up towing the boat to CMI any paying a second time for them to rework their tail pipes to fit. IMO, refitting exhaust to an existing transom is a huge expensive PITA.

getrdunn 02-01-2017 09:13 PM

Originally Posted by Full Force (Post 4525190)
If I got Stellings is there any width issues compared to stainless marine? hate to sell off my stuff then find out I would have issues fitting stellings or any other header...??

Tim I have a set of green tags mounted on the engines and can take some pics with tape measure am post for u if it helps. I can also measure center to center dimension and give you apprx width btwn the inner two headers.

Full Force 02-01-2017 09:19 PM

I guess maybe what I need is someone who has them and measure center to center and see what it is? I am almost positive I would not have issues, but I may have a lead on Stellings...

Full Force 02-01-2017 09:20 PM

These that I am looking at came off a Mistress he thinks, possibly TRS not sure yet... if that's the case I am good since I have a TRS mistress, waiting for answers..

Originally Posted by BenPerfected (Post 4525194)
My experience changing the exhaust our exhaust from Gil to CMI is you will need new custom tail pipes to fit the existing transom holes. We made mock ups with PCV pipe but it was pretty much a waste of time. Ended up towing the boat to CMI any paying a second time for them to rework their tail pipes to fit. IMO, refitting exhaust to an existing transom is a huge expensive PITA.

ICDEDPPL 02-01-2017 09:58 PM

http://33outlaw.zenfolio.com/img/s/v...04558366-4.jpg

http://33outlaw.zenfolio.com/img/s5/...71394725-4.jpg

http://33outlaw.zenfolio.com/img/s10...86813031-4.jpg

Those were Steroid Stellings thou and they were really tight . I believe I`m 35.5 center to center

Probably won`t help at all so
Have a nice day and F uck you.

Full Force 02-02-2017 05:09 AM

LOL sure it helps, I will measure my C/C haha

Originally Posted by ICDEDPPL (Post 4525208)

Those were Steroid Stellings thou and they were really tight . I believe I`m 35.5 center to center

ham_r_down01 02-02-2017 06:03 AM

Originally Posted by ICDEDPPL (Post 4525208)

Sexy right there.

MILD THUNDER 02-02-2017 06:17 AM

2 Attachment(s)
My stellings came in the Formula 402 I had, that had TRS drives. When I put the power in my fountain, which also was a TRS boat originally, I only had to slightly modify the exhaust holes, tails fit fine. The Fountain was converted to #4 SSM's , but the engine height didnt' change much. I really just had to enlarge the exhaust holes, as the fountain originally had 4" tailpipes, and the stellings have 4.5". Most boats had the exhaust holes in the same location, if it was a TRS boat.

If your getting stellings that came off a TRS boat, and they have tails that angle down, it should be a close fit.

Full Force 02-02-2017 07:23 AM

Sweet might need to list mine for sale tonoffset cost as I really have money going elsewhere for engines, but I have a good deal in front of me on stellings

F-2 Speedy 02-02-2017 07:47 AM

9.8 vs 10.2 deck makes a difference, couldn't remember what you bought, I guess if you didn't need to modify your existing exhaust you will be ok

kvogt 02-02-2017 08:19 AM

Many of the old Cigarettes had 34 inch center to center.

TomFTM 02-02-2017 08:49 AM

Not sure which generation stainless marine you have , but I can tell you that you will be going backwards replacing stainless marine with stellings headers..in terms of maintenance . You will be testing and fixing those headers every year, been there done that...never again... I will tell you that I had stellings black model and they fit a tighter center than my new stainless marine gen 3 ... Jerry had to make custom center manifolds to make mine fit.

Full Force 02-02-2017 09:08 AM

Seems the deal is not as great as I thought, gonna pass I think.

That being said maybe I just make my stainless marines dry and leave them for now

MILD THUNDER 02-02-2017 09:28 AM

For me, its a no brainer to use GEN III stainless marine on a blower motor. Performance and reliability.

N/A motor, there could be some decent perf gains with a full length header over a gil or sm marine standard setup.

My stellings were made in 1996. I had them repaired once in 2011 for a slight leak. But I dont run in salt either.

Full Force 02-02-2017 09:29 AM

Does Stellings still make headers?

Unlimited jd 02-02-2017 09:40 AM

Haven't in a long time. I'd bet the newest ones you'd find are 10+ years old

Full Force 02-02-2017 09:55 AM

Gotcha that explains google failure lol

CIG3 02-02-2017 10:10 AM

For overall (peak) power the full header will be the best bet. But thru the cruise RPM range you won't see a big gain over the Stainless marine. The Stainless Marine sure are more reliable than ay full length header out there other than the Keith Eikert stuff.

getrdunn 02-02-2017 11:37 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I've got the stallings green tag in a 12 meter with 33 1/2" center and have a good 1 1/4 btwn the two center. The only thing to consider is that's with gm heads. Your aftermarket heads with 1/2" raised exhaust ports will narrow the gap a bit.

getrdunn 02-02-2017 11:46 AM

Your height would be more of an issue. I just set a dart 4150 on with 4150 carb and the with a 3" spark arrestor puts your near even across.

Full Force 02-02-2017 12:36 PM

Originally Posted by getrdunn (Post 4525358)
Your height would be more of an issue. I just set a dart 4150 on with 4150 carb and the with a 3" spark arrestor puts your near even across.

That was another thing to look at

F-2 Speedy 02-02-2017 01:28 PM

I put raised port AFR's on my 540's bravo application with CMI's and the pipes lined up fine, no cutting at all

Panther 02-02-2017 04:37 PM

Thinking about running used headers? Please don't!

Full Force 02-02-2017 04:49 PM

depends who I would get them from, I have a buddy that can fix anything needed, but I can tell you NEW are not in d=budget at this time, if I wait till next winter then yes, new...

not even sure what brands are good and for TRS

Originally Posted by Panther (Post 4525429)
Thinking about running used headers? Please don't!

getrdunn 02-02-2017 05:11 PM

Originally Posted by 33outlawsst (Post 4525386)
I put raised port AFR's on my 540's bravo application with CMI's and the pipes lined up fine, no cutting at all

Your were fortunate cause darts just don't line right up. I witnessed it first hand with Gil's anyway. Exhaust holes at transome as well as center to center.

getrdunn 02-02-2017 05:16 PM

Originally Posted by Full Force (Post 4525433)
depends who I would get them from, I have a buddy that can fix anything needed, but I can tell you NEW are not in d=budget at this time, if I wait till next winter then yes, new...

Just gotta take a little precaution and pressure test and keep up on them. I'm going to be running stellings that came from a friend on OSO and have no problem with it. the ones I posted in pic Tim the tails pretty much go straight back.

Baja Rooster 02-02-2017 05:52 PM

The problem with used headers is even after pressure testing you don't usually find a problem until after they fill your cylinders with water. I had a set of tested headers on mine that filled the #5 cylinder two months later. Luckily it didn't turn over and do any damage.

I would keep your manifolds knowing that they may be holding the engine back and spring for new headers when possible.

getrdunn 02-02-2017 06:05 PM

Originally Posted by Baja Rooster (Post 4525453)
The problem with used headers is even after pressure testing you don't usually find a problem until after they fill your cylinders with water. I had a set of tested headers on mine that filled the #5 cylinder. Luckily it didn't turn over and do any damage.

I would keep your manifolds knowing that they may be holding the engine back and spring for new headers when possible.

If buying new I'd definitely buy KE's or SS Gen lll's. You might as well forget about headers all together.

endeavour32 02-02-2017 06:21 PM

Originally Posted by Full Force (Post 4525433)

I agree with Panther, I would think long and hard about used headers. Maybe your buddy can fix anything, but if they need to be fixed once, IMO they are junk. It's only a matter of time when another leak will spring up. If you don't catch it in time, good by new engines!

I am the one that getrdunn witnessed having to modify the transom. I went form 088 heads to Dart Pro 1 heads and I had to move my exhaust holes up and out 1/2" to 3/4". I run Gil thru the transom, dry to tip pipes. The chance of running a raised port head, and having thru the transom pipes work without modification IMO is ZERO, unless the pipes were built for that set up.

MILD THUNDER 02-02-2017 06:55 PM

Anyone know what the Primary I.D. of the runners are in the Thunder N Lightning / Eickert Manifolds is? Asking for a friend :)

phragle 02-02-2017 07:20 PM

So with the risk of used headers, how much power is there to be gained in headers vs your sm;s? and what does that power increase equal in increased mph? now is that increase worth the possibility of a leak and the possibility of a gernaded engine? Yes, your buddy can hot glue stainless,but you have to be lucky enough to find a leak first before it does damage.

Headers can most definitly ,make more power which can make more speed but only you can decide if the risk is acceptable. As far as the holes in the transom lining up... its not that difficult to plug and recut if they dont. You have a white solid color boat, not some mega dollar spectral vomit paint job to match so its really not that hard.

MILD THUNDER 02-02-2017 07:24 PM

Originally Posted by phragle (Post 4525471)
its not that difficult to plug and recut if they dont. You have a white solid color boat, not some mega dollar spectral vomit paint job to match so its really not that hard.

I'd probably adjust the tailpipes, not the fiberglass. IF it were slightly off, and the existing holes just need slight adjustment, you can open them up, and use a larger trim ring on the outside of the transom if need be. Last thing you wanna do anyway, is have a super tight fit on your tailpipes going thru the transom, esp if you boat in big water. Chit moves around, and you don't want the tails acting like prybars on the headers, putting a bunch of stress on them.

endeavour32 02-02-2017 07:27 PM

Originally Posted by MILD THUNDER (Post 4525462)
Anyone know what the Primary I.D. of the runners are in the Thunder N Lightning / Eickert Manifolds is? Asking for a friend :)

If you dig the designer of the KE posted about them... To save to a lot of time looking, they are 2" i.d.. If I can find the post I'll post a link.

midwest272 02-02-2017 07:30 PM

Mild Thunder
http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/g...-question.html

Here's a thread from awhile back , looks like 1 7/8 oval

MILD THUNDER 02-02-2017 07:30 PM

Originally Posted by endeavour32 (Post 4525475)
If you dig the designer of the KE posted about them... To save to a lot of time looking, they are 2" i.d.. If I can find the post I'll post a link.

Cool, thanks

MILD THUNDER 02-02-2017 07:39 PM

Originally Posted by midwest272 (Post 4525477)
Mild Thunder
http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/g...-question.html

Here's a thread from awhile back , looks like 1 7/8 oval

He's saying 1 7/8. Same as my Stellings and standard CMI headers. Still on the small side.

Wish we had a manifold setup just like that avail, with 2 1/8 primaries and 4.5" collectors!

endeavour32 02-02-2017 07:40 PM

Here is the link to the answer. At the time he was running 1200 hp through them, last I read he was up to 2000 hp through them. If you start at the beginning of the post there is a lot of good info.
http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/g...headers-3.html

endeavour32 02-02-2017 07:53 PM

I know diamond claims 1 7/8" but the guy that actually designed them claims 2". I'm going with the guy that designed them. There are guys running some huge power thought them, I think they are more than enough for what any of us will ever build.

I was talking to one of Eickerts old partners when Keith still had the rights to his name, prior to selling to Hardin. He told me at that time there was no production header that would out perform the K/E including CMI big tubes. The big tubes may have a bigger id, but the runners are not even close to the same length, so maybe the bigger id is countered by different length runners? Who knows?

MILD THUNDER 02-02-2017 08:40 PM

Originally Posted by endeavour32 (Post 4525488)
I know diamond claims 1 7/8" but the guy that actually designed them claims 2". I'm going with the guy that designed them. There are guys running some huge power thought them, I think they are more than enough for what any of us will ever build.

I was talking to one of Eickerts old partners when Keith still had the rights to his name, prior to selling to Hardin. He told me at that time there was no production header that would out perform the K/E including CMI big tubes. The big tubes may have a bigger id, but the runners are not even close to the same length, so maybe the bigger id is countered by different length runners? Who knows?

The cool thing about CMI, is they will do custom setups. In their "big tube" series, you can choose from 2 1/8", 2 1/4, and 2 3/8 primary id. You can choose to step the header as well if you like. Im pretty sure, their Sport tube, and big tube, have similar runner lengths as the KE style manifold. The elbow tops, are much shorter. I think thats why don't dont recommend Elbow Tops on N/A engines.

Stellings used to make some big tube headers, wanna say they were 2.25ID if I recall. My old "green" stellings, are 1 7/8. I believe the "green" headers I have, were originally spec'd for Mercury's 575HP 540 engine back in the late 80's.

The cool thing about big blower engines, is you can just keep pounding more and more boost at the engine, and even though the exhaust might be restricting it, its still making more power. Now , when you take that exhaust off, and slap on something else, you might see the boost drop, and power go up. So while I can appreciate someone running big numbers thru a particular exhaust, I'd rather see it tested against something else, to see if in fact, theres something better.

For guys like us though, I think its hard to beat the KE style manifolds, or , if blown, the GEN III 's. For the big money guys, some Inconel big tube CMI's, might be a better option. I seen those inconel headers on a 45 Cig at loto. I didnt even know they did that!