Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Would you be afraid of buying a boat with these motors? >

Would you be afraid of buying a boat with these motors?

Notices

Would you be afraid of buying a boat with these motors?

Old 02-07-2017, 08:30 AM
Registered

Received 177 Likes on 114 Posts

Might do oil/filter change on them with known oil before sea trial, that way you know that the oil pressures are not enhanced by additives. Just an indication of lower condition.
Old 02-07-2017, 08:39 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 46 Likes on 23 Posts

Buy the boat with room for complete engine rebuilds. The current owner should have done top ends awhile ago but chose to sell it and let the next guy deal with it. Now the boat is at 600 hours and will need complete rebuilds. Let's say you buy it and just do the top ends, then something happens and you need to sell the boat. What is the first thing someone will say/leverage about when they inquire about the boat? Now it's your problem. Just because engines might go to certain hours is it wise to push it that far?

As far as the boat itself be sure to carefully check for deck/hull separation and engine bay liners that have not been bonded correctly. Early Fastech 382 and some 353 had issues.The engine bay liner issue is hard to detect with the engines in, do a search on here for those 2 issues to get educated.

Last edited by VoodooRob; 02-07-2017 at 08:45 AM.
Old 02-07-2017, 08:45 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

Don't waste money on the cost of a leak down test, plan on pulling both engines and installing all new bearings, rings, gaskets, etc, have the heads worked, it doesn't cost much to freshen engines before they are broken.
Old 02-07-2017, 09:57 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for all the info. If I lived up north and had the boat in the garage all winter, I'd seriously consider doing the work myself. BUT, being here in SW Florida, the boat would be on a lift begging to go out every weekend instead of being wrenched on. So, I would make it right first, then have it brought home ready to go boating.

I know of Cobra engines in Miami. I also heard of Offshore Performance in Fort Myers and Chief engines in MIami. If I can make a deal, maybe they could hook me up with a couple complete motors at a decent price. Like some "takeouts" from someone upgrading....
Old 02-07-2017, 02:57 PM
Registered

Received 1,493 Likes on 807 Posts

Originally Posted by formula1
Hey, I was eyeing a Formula 382 with a pair of freshwater carbed HP500's with 600 "original" hours (meaning never refreshed or top ends redone) ? The motors are 1999 vintage.
Something to consider but maybe not in the budget but Dennis R has two complete refreshed from the bottom to the top ready to bolt in with all accessories for under 10k. They are hp500's. You could always buy boat and swap engines out and still get a decent price for yours provided their not salt water engines.
Old 02-07-2017, 05:00 PM
Registered

saltwater or fresh water use?
Old 02-07-2017, 05:21 PM
Registered

Received 1,493 Likes on 807 Posts

For more info on 500hps pm Dennis R. I am not sure but I know he went through them from top to bottom.
Old 02-07-2017, 07:32 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by getrdunn
For more info on 500hps pm Dennis R. I am not sure but I know he went through them from top to bottom.
Thanks. Are those in the classifieds?
Old 02-07-2017, 07:33 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by VoodooRob
Buy the boat with room for complete engine rebuilds. The current owner should have done top ends awhile ago but chose to sell it and let the next guy deal with it. Now the boat is at 600 hours and will need complete rebuilds. Let's say you buy it and just do the top ends, then something happens and you need to sell the boat. What is the first thing someone will say/leverage about when they inquire about the boat? Now it's your problem. Just because engines might go to certain hours is it wise to push it that far?

As far as the boat itself be sure to carefully check for deck/hull separation and engine bay liners that have not been bonded correctly. Early Fastech 382 and some 353 had issues.The engine bay liner issue is hard to detect with the engines in, do a search on here for those 2 issues to get educated.
Thanks for the link! That is quite a read! But, what is the engine liner? Isn't that all part of the mold?
Old 02-08-2017, 06:18 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

not in the classifieds yet im still working on them but they are almost new call me and i can tell you what i did 616-304-2323

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.