Running Hard: RPM + Distance >

Running Hard: RPM + Distance

Notices

Running Hard: RPM + Distance

Old 02-17-2017, 09:09 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 204 Likes on 132 Posts

I would say my average completely wide-open run lasts 3 to 5 miles or more it really all depends on what the situation is Obviously if it's a poker run I am in it a lot longer than that..
Old 02-17-2017, 09:12 AM
Registered

Received 278 Likes on 97 Posts

Sorry my comment was so long, but unfortunately I have been "called out" a couple times to explain how hard I run, and how large my fuel tanks are to support running that hard for so long.

When I respond on other threads I simply am explaining that "x y z" does this or that and that is worked or did not work during MY type of RUNNING HARD. That is per tenant tech info in my book, explaining how you actually run your boat makes a big difference. My oil isnt even up to temp until I pass Power Island, about 6 miles out. If all I did was go anchor there, like many locals do which is fine, than my tech experience would have a different bearing in this section.

Unleashed does not have hour meters, nor FUEL GAUGES. We track the miles so we know how much fuel we have
Old 02-17-2017, 09:21 AM
Registered

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

Offshore what are your oil temps running like that?
Old 02-17-2017, 09:21 AM
Registered

Received 37 Likes on 13 Posts

We run 4 or 5 poker runs per year and a couple fun runs with Kevin and Kristy. Typically on those events we are running from 4400 to 5300 or sometimes bouncing the rev limiter. On a typical "off" weekend , we would run shorter distances at 3500 to 4500. Our poker runs are usually in the 100 to 140 miles range .

Last edited by check300; 02-17-2017 at 10:01 AM.
Old 02-17-2017, 09:25 AM
Registered

Received 749 Likes on 402 Posts

Originally Posted by offshorexcursion
So how many miles, or minutes, or seconds does everyone run hard at what RPM and speed before slowing back down to a cruise?

Not really asking about fuel consumption, or how many hours you put on a year, but how LONG do you run HARD for? Every boat, budget, and conditions will make it different, there is no right or wrong answer, just fun discussion.
Certain bodies of water do not allow for extended periods of hard running. That said, 30 miles at around 5K RPM give or take during the SOTPR on LOTO. That is plenty long and hard enough for me.
Old 02-17-2017, 09:31 AM
Registered

Received 278 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by jmoore1225
Offshore what are your oil temps running like that?
They stay around 220 until I slow down
Water temp gauge never moves, crossover, merc cast iron housing single stage pump, thru hull water pickups with channels grooved into hull bottom, 12psi

Mercury Racing 210deg oil thermostat filter housings with large diesel 30 micron filters
Port engine has dual flywheel coolers (either 8 or 13 plate) both cooling the engine
Stb engine has a Mr. Cool MRC CPH-555 24" long 3" Dia tube cooler rated at 1000hp
Driven 5w50
80psi oil pressure
Oberg 600 return line filters
14 Quart dry sump tanks
3 stage dry sumps
Old 02-17-2017, 09:44 AM
Registered

Received 87 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by offshorexcursion
So how many miles, or minutes, or seconds does everyone run hard at what RPM and speed before slowing back down to a cruise?

Not really asking about fuel consumption, or how many hours you put on a year, but how LONG do you run HARD for? Every boat, budget, and conditions will make it different, there is no right or wrong answer, just fun discussion.
i will just say that if you and i take off at the same time going to the same place i will burn a lot more gas than you will and i will get their way before you do.i can cruse faster than your top speed but i don,t feel the need to talk about it like you do,it,s all good.id like to keep up but i have to go,got work to do.
Old 02-17-2017, 09:52 AM
Geronimo36
Gold Member

Received 131 Likes on 36 Posts

In all honestly, I don't run hard for very long. Maybe a few miles at the end of the day or for 5 minutes in a poker run. I also don't do many poker runs any more. After doing them for over 15 years straight, I got it out of my system. Also, having kids changed my style of boating as well.

Boating for me now is more about enjoying the ride with my kids, the good times at the raft ups, fun-runs and every so often a weekend without the kids to lean on the sticks. I've also seen a lot of my friends hurt and/or killed in pleasure boats and race boats. In the last 20 or so years I've owned a boat, I had the pleasure of witnessing my friends accidents and even saving their lives, so it's just not worth it to me any more.

Also, when you get to a certain power level, you either need to have really deep pockets or be willing to wrench on the boat a lot, so choose your poison! I got tired of the deep pockets and wrenching all the time, so that's another factor. However, these days I boat every weekend, 2-3 days per week, 6-8 months out of the year and my boating is usually measured in the 2600+ mile range and between 50-60 hrs a year on the big boat. Not sure about the little boat.
Old 02-17-2017, 10:12 AM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

WOW-- now I really appreciate why it seems everyone have engines in a constant state of "fix-em-up". To me (and I don't have a performance boat) this was really a great thread and an eye opener.

Keep em coming

3pointstar
Old 02-17-2017, 10:18 AM
Registered

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

[QUOTE=offshorexcursion;4529968]They stay around 220 until I slow down
Water temp gauge never moves, crossover, merc cast iron housing single stage pump, thru hull water pickups with channels grooved into hull bottom, 12psi

Mercury Racing 210deg oil thermostat filter housings with large diesel 30 micron filters
Port engine has dual flywheel coolers (either 8 or 13 plate) both cooling the engine
Stb engine has a Mr. Cool MRC CPH

Where are your oil temp sending units tapped in?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.