Notices

502 MPIs

Old 02-25-2017, 07:45 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by articfriends
Maggetti marelli fiat injectors on the 98 to 2001 454/502 mags arent the greatest for matching, even new from mercruiser, a east coast guy sent me 8 new injectors he paid the big dollar for from mercruiser, 1 flowed 8 to 10% lower than 6 that were close, 1 outflowed the rest by 16 to 20%, he ended up getting two more from a place in fla or georgia that flowed really close to the 6 good ones for about 90$ a piece instead of the 150 or 160 each he paid for from mercruiser. Brian orlandi had same problem, he was flowing, testing and installing 16 new ones on a boat that had some kind of insurance claim, he ended up using 5 or 6 old ones to get 16 that matched fwiw. I always thought mercruiser tuned stock 502s pig rich out of laziness and retuned them much cleaner but now im convinced they do it because they were avoiding warranty claims from injectors flowing low, especially over time as they get older and fouled up. I have done about 15 sets of 454/502 mag gen 6/mefi3 injectors now since buying my machine last year and have seen mismstched flow in almost every set. About half of them came to.me after guys melted a cylinder, i would never run a 15 or 20 year old efi motor in something i owned without pulling injectors and checking/cleaning themnon a machine, cost so little compared to a meltdown, Smitty
I have been concerned about my injectors since I have been reading more about this topic. I have twin 1997 502mpi mags with a touch over a 1000 hours on them. The engines are stock original and have had nothing done to them other than normal maintenance. They run great and I have noticed no deterioration in performance or any more oil consumption since I bought the boat in 2006 with 230 hours. I have talked to a few local Merc. Mechanics and they didn’t seem to concerned or try to push me to have my injectors professionally cleaned and flowed. Based on what I read I can’t believe they wouldn’t push injector cleaning service harder on me. I see your in Michigan too. Do you perform injector cleaning and flow testing for others besides yourself or know of a good local place for it? I live in Macomb County.
Thanks.
Old 02-25-2017, 07:57 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 3,051 Likes on 1,357 Posts

Originally Posted by johnny b good
I have been concerned about my injectors since I have been reading more about this topic. I have twin 1997 502mpi mags with a touch over a 1000 hours on them. The engines are stock original and have had nothing done to them other than normal maintenance. They run great and I have noticed no deterioration in performance or any more oil consumption since I bought the boat in 2006 with 230 hours. I have talked to a few local Merc. Mechanics and they didn’t seem to concerned or try to push me to have my injectors professionally cleaned and flowed. Based on what I read I can’t believe they wouldn’t push injector cleaning service harder on me. I see your in Michigan too. Do you perform injector cleaning and flow testing for others besides yourself or know of a good local place for it? I live in Macomb County.
Thanks.
Yes he does, another to consider is the O-rings on the top and bottom of the injector, deterioration over over 20 years of heat from the engine,
Old 02-25-2017, 08:10 AM
SB
Registered

Received 3,116 Likes on 1,403 Posts

Originally Posted by F-2 Speedy
Yes he does, another to consider is the O-rings on the top and bottom of the injector, deterioration over over 20 years of heat from the engine,
Exactly, and at the least, as the years go on more of a chance for the filter baskets placed inside top of injectors to be full of crud.
Old 02-25-2017, 09:37 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 817 Likes on 374 Posts

Originally Posted by johnny b good
Thanks.
Yes i do it as part of my business, you have to remove the injectors snd mail or ups them to me. Pm me or call me at the 7434 number on my website smittysengtrans.com
Old 02-25-2017, 10:16 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thank you! I will check out your website.
Old 02-25-2017, 12:04 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 1,234 Likes on 688 Posts

After getting a good report from the previous owner about the maintenance on the boat, I decided to take her out. I found that it appears that they never water tested the boat because the sea cocks were not opened up correctly. Keeps getting better.

Took her out into the Chesapeake and ran her in some good 4-footers (the winds kicked up just after we got a couple miles out... was supposed to be glass), and she performed as expected; no issues at all.

This boat can handle some seas!

I think I my most favorite experience of the day was working with the transmissions. Silky smooth and a breeze to operate. They made handling this beast of a boat very easy. I don't think I'll even look at another boat that doesn't use transmissions.

The maiden voyage was great, and the previous owner is happy to hear hat his baby is being well taken care of.

Last edited by TomZ; 02-27-2017 at 11:48 AM.