Powdercoating pulleys >

Powdercoating pulleys

Notices

Powdercoating pulleys

Old 02-24-2017, 09:54 PM
Registered

Received 55 Likes on 34 Posts
Default Powdercoating pulleys

Wondering if anyone has done this or if you know anyone with it done. Getting close to having motors running and wondering if anyone has blasted and powdercoated their pulleys. How does it hold up? This is for v belts if that matters. Will it affect the belt? Thanks for any help.
Old 02-24-2017, 10:28 PM
Registered

Received 1,491 Likes on 806 Posts

I've powder coated just about everything that can fit in an oven except for pulleys. Not that I wouldn't but just easier to throw a coat of paint on when the engines are out. I don't see where it would hurt in the groove but if the powder coat does start to chip in the groove where will it end. Can also use heat tape in the groove I suppose. Rattle can some merc blue on them and be done with it. Just my advice. During the marinizing with removal reinstall etc there are parts that tend to hit the floor at times. Im careful as it is but it comes to a point where enough is enough.
Old 02-24-2017, 10:28 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

powdercoating is good stuff, 3/8" rope in the grove, masking tape, tube of cheap silicone and a cauk gun I would cover the v with something, belts are cheap.
Old 02-24-2017, 10:32 PM
Registered

Sorry I didn't directly answer your question but just throwing an opinion out there. I'm rather particular and like to keep things neat, clean and even a little over and above pimp but there's just so much you don't see or notice once all said and done.
Old 02-24-2017, 10:38 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

getrdunn you can remove what I suggested before it goes to the heat cant you? I have only seen powder coating on a assembly line, I might be all wet here, and don't want to give bad advice.
Old 02-24-2017, 10:39 PM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Tape the grooves. Id prefer paint.
Old 02-24-2017, 10:50 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Mr Maine
Tape the grooves. Id prefer paint.
Just curious why?
Old 02-24-2017, 10:52 PM
Registered

Great answers guys. Keep em coming. All of my accessory brackets are being done in silver. Painting motors, heads, intakes blue. Valve covers to be blue with silver logos. Was thinking of pulleys being done in same silver. Just to give an idea of what I'm thinking here
Old 02-24-2017, 11:03 PM
Registered

Received 19 Likes on 8 Posts

Surpentine belt pulleys it does not work on. It tightens up all the tolerances to much and the belts don't fit unless you tape off all the surfaces perfectly even the inside of the taper. I Found it much better to tape off and paint the faces.
Old 02-24-2017, 11:09 PM
Registered

You ought to buy an inexpensive gun and just do yourself. Just find an old oven for your garage or shop. It's extremely easy. In regards t othe groove they make different widths of heat tape that can withstand the heat. 3/4" I think even came with my kit. Only thing is with poweder coat is you need to be extremely careful from where you coat to the oven. Anotherwords don't sneeze on your parts. Lol.. honestly I don't think it would be a big deal if you coated the goove especially if you didn't consentrate on it. Just both sides and a little mist in the groove shouldn't hurt anything. Ck on eBay. If I remember the kits are under 100.00 and when you get merc blue and silver you'll be powder coating everything. Keeps you out of trouble also. Hah

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.