Notices

Engine wiring harness

Old 03-05-2017, 11:57 AM
bck
Charter Member#568
Charter Member

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Engine wiring harness

Is there any difference in quality between the wiring harnesses sold by someplace like CP for well over $100 verses someplace like ebasic for well under $100? Going to need to buy a pair I think. Not sure about reusing mine. Mine are new but the person who put them together cut them too short and the crimps are poor as well, already had a couple fail.

Last edited by bck; 03-05-2017 at 11:59 AM.
Old 03-05-2017, 12:09 PM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

I think they are both made by http://www.marlanindustries.com/
Old 03-05-2017, 12:59 PM
bck
Charter Member#568
Charter Member

They list eBasic as a retailer and have a link to their site, so that's a good sign. I was also thinking of just cutting all my terminals off and replacing them with weatherpaks or similar. Not sure if that'd be an improvement or just more chances for a problem.
Old 03-05-2017, 01:11 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by bck
They list eBasic as a retailer and have a link to their site, so that's a good sign. I was also thinking of just cutting all my terminals off and replacing them with weatherpaks or similar. Not sure if that'd be an improvement or just more chances for a problem.
For the cost of them at ebasic, prob best to just replace them, and avoid any gremlins that suck chasing once in the boat
Old 03-05-2017, 01:28 PM
BUP
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

They are here in my back yard Marlan. they are OK not bad but not top of the line either.
Old 03-05-2017, 01:36 PM
BUP
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

FWIW I have tried to get Painless Performance in Ft Worth TX to make some marine wiring harnesses as their quality is good but of course I do not have the volume to make it worth wild for them nor me.

Most people want cheap so without the volume their for me - the price for doing only10 per year is very high. If I could only get the volume to have Painless Performance make quality wiring harnesses, the price would come way down from them.

Anyways not even close for the volume

Last edited by BUP; 03-05-2017 at 01:42 PM.
Old 03-05-2017, 01:42 PM
bck
Charter Member#568
Charter Member

Yeah, it'd probably cost more to put weather pack type terminals on them and even though it'd be nice to have them the thought of tripling the connections doesn't thrill me.
Old 03-05-2017, 01:44 PM
bck
Charter Member#568
Charter Member

Originally Posted by BUP
They are here in my back yard Marlan. they are OK not bad but not top of the line either.
So who is top of the line for them?
Old 03-05-2017, 02:00 PM
Registered

I had heard/read that Marlan is who made the harnesses for Fountain, and some other boat builders. Whether or not thats true, i dont know.

I do know, my fountain has the exact same harnesses, from the engine to the dash. You can unplug the harness connector under the dash, and then remove entire dash panel from boat, with all gauges and switches still there.

I dont know who is making the engine harnesses with the cannon plug , that may be of better quality? Ive had several friends use the marlan ones, and have had no problems
Old 03-05-2017, 02:18 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 3,041 Likes on 1,354 Posts

I bought two ebasic harnesses that Im installing on my current builds, the only thing I dont like is the cannon plug mount is square bolt pattern and mercury ones are a rectangle shape, so be prepared to drill and make them fit your brackets. I made new brackets for mine so it didnt really matter, I brought to their attention and they acted like it was the first they heard of it...........ya right.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.