Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Video of motor in a Formula 303 I am (was) considering purchasing, please advise >

Video of motor in a Formula 303 I am (was) considering purchasing, please advise

Notices

Video of motor in a Formula 303 I am (was) considering purchasing, please advise

Old 03-28-2017, 10:39 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Video of motor in a Formula 303 I am (was) considering purchasing, please advise

I posted on this particular forum under 454 mag experts, but I figured I'd start a new thread to get your opinion of this "new 454 mag motor" with 20 hours on it to see what ya'll think. Seems like a crapload of blowby to me, but
maybe there are some other issues that are causing this other than poor bearing tolerances. Oh, and see the attached pics of the oil pressure gauges at cold startup (motor noise though).
Pics first. Port is first pic, starboard is second:
[ATTACH=CONFIG]565936[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]565937[/ATTACH]

link ....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fn8HPnIPRQQ
Attached Thumbnails Video of motor in a Formula 303 I am (was) considering purchasing, please advise-20170214_123159.jpg   Video of motor in a Formula 303 I am (was) considering purchasing, please advise-20170214_123207.jpg  
Old 03-28-2017, 10:43 PM
Registered

Here is the original thread:
http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/g...-purchase.html

I am just updating with pics and videos. There is a new thread in the Formula owners section too with even more pics. Thanks!
Old 03-29-2017, 01:16 AM
Registered

Received 87 Likes on 49 Posts

i think those engines need a nap!
Old 03-29-2017, 01:17 AM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,815 Likes on 903 Posts

20 hours???? My 600+ hr 502mpi's don't have blow by like that. What's with the goofy valve cover breather set up???
Old 03-29-2017, 01:35 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Well the bearing clearances would have nothing to do with the blowby. Blowby is from poor sealing piston rings and that does seem to have a fair amount going on. Bearing clearances do determine your oil pressure and that does seem low for a cold start up. Surprised it didn't drop lower when it warmed up at idle. 13 lbs difference is pretty much between 2 supposedly new engines. Should be seeing more like at least 60 on a cold startup. If they maintained 25 lbs at idle HOT, that would be acceptable.They may run great but hard to believe their "New" with only 20 hours. Lot of people have different definitions of "NEW". Seem to me to be low grade rebuilds if that. With that blowby I can assure you they'll be oil burners!
Old 03-29-2017, 09:10 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by picklenjim
Well the bearing clearances would have nothing to do with the blowby. Blowby is from poor sealing piston rings and that does seem to have a fair amount going on. Bearing clearances do determine your oil pressure and that does seem low for a cold start up. Surprised it didn't drop lower when it warmed up at idle. 13 lbs difference is pretty much between 2 supposedly new engines. Should be seeing more like at least 60 on a cold startup. If they maintained 25 lbs at idle HOT, that would be acceptable.They may run great but hard to believe their "New" with only 20 hours. Lot of people have different definitions of "NEW". Seem to me to be low grade rebuilds if that. With that blowby I can assure you they'll be oil burners!
I was in a hurry when I posted the opening post. But, yeah, you're right. The bearing clearances are about the oil pressure and I didn't make that clear. Thanks for catching that. It turns out
that the new engines are 4 years old with "20 hours of use". The oil pressure did not fluctuate much at all after we ran the boat. They stayed pretty much the same. IIRC, they may have went up
a tad while under load.

That funky breather setup and the auxillary (?) fuel pumps mounted on the left side of each motor also are of concern. Why would you need the aux fuel pumps? I am guessing here but I believe
the 1995 models had GEN V motors and these (according to the invoices I saw) are GEN VI. Would that cause a need for those aux pumps?
Old 03-29-2017, 09:22 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 3,040 Likes on 1,353 Posts

Your EFI would have a cause for them..........those aren't aux pumps,those are the high pressure pumps for the EFI

Edit: the picture I saw is not showing up any more

Last edited by F-2 Speedy; 03-29-2017 at 09:30 AM.
Old 03-29-2017, 09:30 AM
Registered

Received 87 Likes on 49 Posts

if those engines truly have 20 hours the builder really screwed up.on the oil pressure you would need to confirm with a mechanical gauge but my bet is the engines have issues.the rings are not sealing for some reason.the only way to know for sure would be to take the engines apart and inspect everything.
Old 03-29-2017, 09:30 AM
Registered

Received 743 Likes on 401 Posts

There have been so many nice, clean, unmolested 303's come up for sale over the years. i would be patient and wait for another one to hit the market. This thing is a cobbled up mess.
Old 03-29-2017, 09:48 AM
Registered

Received 471 Likes on 367 Posts

I'm seeing VST's on the back and those pumps on the side are low pressure boost pumps. The VST used mechanical pumps to feed it, and first gen cool fuel used just the cool fuel, then later installed boost pumps in an attempt to reduce vapor lock.

That said the boost pumps where not installed like that

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.