Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Full Hydraulic Steering vs Add on kit or maybe a (DIY Brizilan Valve?) >

Full Hydraulic Steering vs Add on kit or maybe a (DIY Brizilan Valve?)

Notices

Full Hydraulic Steering vs Add on kit or maybe a (DIY Brizilan Valve?)

Old 04-04-2017, 01:56 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Full Hydraulic Steering vs Add on kit or maybe a (DIY Brizilan Valve?)

So I need to step up my game and add twin hydraulic cylinders to my Bravo 1 drive. I am most tempted to just go full Hydro but am a bit concerned about wanting to run the hot oil up to the Helm where it can leak and make a mess on my carpet or even worse leak and burn my legs and feet which are right underneath. I am very familiar with running full hydraulics as I have done that on all my rock buggies, and know that things leak from time to time. Anyone know anyone who has had a leaky orbital or lines at the Helm?

Other than steering tightness due to rack/cable slack and the fact you can not steer if motor or pump goes out whats the drawbacks with the Brazil valve add on dual ram kit? It would still take pressures off the Gimbal and also should take big pressures off the cable and factory tiller mechanism and keep the hydraulic oil out of my helm area. Also seems like it should tighten the drive up just the same as the full hydro kit? Is this a reasonable good option for a boat that will probably never see 90?

Another question: Can the factory Bravo 1 hydro steering mechanism be drilled and tapped for a DIY Brazilian valve?
Old 04-04-2017, 03:23 PM
GPM
Registered

Received 80 Likes on 58 Posts

In my opinion, everything you mention except the full hydraulic is just a waste of time and money. Nothing will make the boat go straight like the full hydraulic, your other options are bandaids. In fifteen years I've never seen a drop of oil from the helm, maybe I've just been lucky. Fire up your boat on the trailer without full hydraulic steering, just bump the lower unit and watch it take off, it does the same thing in the water.
Old 04-04-2017, 08:01 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 814 Likes on 373 Posts

I have to agree with gary, i added twin ram external on my baja with brazil valve and it still had a fairly tight cable and bushings when it only ran mid to high 70s, it got rid of the severe chine walk but still was a handful. I did the helm and was night and day better, no comparison. Boat for what it was steered rock solid, fwiw, Smitty
Old 04-04-2017, 08:11 PM
Registered

Received 317 Likes on 174 Posts

Find someone with a fast Boat with full hydraulic steering go for a ride, ask nicely to drive it at a moderate speed. I bet you go back and order the parts for full hydraulic steering .

Padraig
Old 04-04-2017, 09:32 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 814 Likes on 373 Posts

I drove my buddys 28 checkmate w factory 525sc and cable steering after years of driving my baja, holy fawk, i forgot how bad a cable steer boat has play school steering!!
Old 04-04-2017, 11:32 PM
Registered

Received 143 Likes on 95 Posts

I have zero experience on the matter other than seeing a lot of the add on kits for sale when they rip it out for full hydraulic. Right behind that are the single ram kits when upgrading to dual ram kits. History would show that you save money when buying the full kit the first time. I've never seen any threads on leaky helms but haven't looked either.
Old 04-05-2017, 01:45 AM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,821 Likes on 907 Posts

I've had add on dual ram with the cable helm and it still had some play and will pull to the side.
Much better than full cable, but still nothing like full hyd.

Full hyd is definitely the way to go. My boat is 20 years old and the only leak I ever had was small drip at the PS pump connection.
Old 04-05-2017, 06:09 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 122 Likes on 77 Posts

Yup, what these guys said. There is nothing like full hydraulic. You could get by with a single ram on a small, light boat. I had a single ram full system on my 24 Superboat and the steering was great. When I bought that boat it was an add on system. I converted it to a full system and it made a huge difference. I had ITS on my 30 superboat and really liked the way the rams were built into the ext. box. That really cleans up the transom. Current boat has twin OB's with full hydraulic. Oh, and never had any leaks at the helm.
Old 04-05-2017, 08:03 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for all the inputs... you guys have convinced me that full hydraulic it is.
Old 04-05-2017, 08:11 AM
Registered

Received 317 Likes on 174 Posts

I know it puts the hurt on the bank account but besides the safety thing, it makes the boat easier and more enjoyable to drive. IMO you have made the best choice.

Padraig

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.