Exhaust Steam

Notices

Exhaust Steam

Old 04-17-2017, 01:33 AM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,821 Likes on 907 Posts

Originally Posted by shunter2005
Guess my main question right now is, and I am just brainstorming (fishing), could an exhaust flapper stuck in the closed position cause the exhaust gasses to be trapped and unable to escape thru the tips and consequently heat up the manifold and risers, even with the proper amount of water to cool them? Sorry, not a very technical question, but I don't know any other way to ask it.
IMO, not likely
Old 04-17-2017, 09:42 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have read all the threads that I can find about the issue and there are plenty. However, there are a bunch of differing opinions as to what the problem is. Everything from normal to cool water and weather to trash in the cooler to impeller to blown head gasket. I really don't know what to think right now.

Guess my main question right now is, and I am just brainstorming (fishing), could an exhaust flapper stuck in the closed position cause the exhaust gasses to be trapped and unable to escape thru the tips and consequently heat up the manifold and risers, even with the proper amount of water to cool them? Sorry, not a very technical question, but I don't know any other way to ask it.
If a flapper was stuck that badly, the exhaust - and the water in it - would revert into the engine. You would notice it quickly due to poor running at a minimum and engine damage at the worst.
Old 04-17-2017, 11:11 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

have you run the boat in salt, if so, check for corrosion and blockages in the exhaust manifold
Old 04-17-2017, 12:25 PM
Registered

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Griff
IMO, not likely
Well, I was hoping it would be a simple solution. IR temp gun next time out, but will check the oil cooler for junk prior to that and impeller also.

Originally Posted by apollard
If a flapper was stuck that badly, the exhaust - and the water in it - would revert into the engine. You would notice it quickly due to poor running at a minimum and engine damage at the worst.
Wasn't stuck all that tight and I don't know if it was free and only stuck when I shut the motor off. It popped loose pretty easily and it looked like there was decent water flow coming out. Boat was running perfect.

Originally Posted by jwws9999
have you run the boat in salt, if so, check for corrosion and blockages in the exhaust manifold
No salt as far as I know. Prior owner (2nd owner) boated exclusively at Havasu and New Mexico. Don't have any info about original owner. Will be taking the OEM exhaust off this fall and replacing it anyway with IMCO.

May be a normal situation as previously stated, riser and manifold just seemed warmer than I remembered or expected. Water wasn't all that cold on Friday and temp was in the low 80's.
Old 04-17-2017, 12:27 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

If all else checks out normal in the cooling lines, and impeller/housing are in good shape, you may want to check the fitting on the interior side of the transom assembly. There's a 90 deg barb fitting/housing on the assembly which holds water and over time will corrode the aluminum on the transom assembly which in turn collapses the intake hose coming in the from the helmet/bell housing where the drive mates up.

Here's what a bad one will look like.

Old 04-17-2017, 08:35 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

With silent choice and one of the flappers gets stuck closed it creates higher exhaust pressure on the closed side so the water goes to the open side instead.
That is why one side is hotter than the other. It only is an issue at higher RPM's.
Old 04-19-2017, 11:06 AM
Registered

Received 25 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by apollard
Pretty common starboard exhaust on Mercs to run hotter.
This plus this
Originally Posted by Griff
It is just more noticeable with cooler Spring water and air temps
Old 04-28-2017, 09:23 PM
Registered

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Finally got the chance to put my boat in the water again. Backed the boat down the ramp and ran the motor on the trailer. I realize that this is not the same as actually running the motor and checking, but it's all I could do today.

After motor heated up, there was about a 15* difference between the port side manifold/riser and the starboard side. Starboard manifold was the warmer of the two. I really don't think there is a problem now, but I will keep an eye on it to see. There was no steam today as the temp was almost 90 here. Exhaust tip water looks almost identical.

Will keep an eye on it, and see what happens. Thanks for all the responses.
Old 04-29-2017, 07:02 AM
Registered

Received 177 Likes on 114 Posts

Sounds like all is good to go. See ya out there
Old 04-29-2017, 07:35 PM
Registered

Received 76 Likes on 54 Posts

Finally got the chance to put my boat in the water again. Backed the boat down the ramp and ran the motor on the trailer. I realize that this is not the same as actually running the motor and checking, but it's all I could do today.

After motor heated up, there was about a 15* difference between the port side manifold/riser and the starboard side. Starboard manifold was the warmer of the two. I really don't think there is a problem now, but I will keep an eye on it to see. There was no steam today as the temp was almost 90 here. Exhaust tip water looks almost identical.

Will keep an eye on it, and see what happens. Thanks for all the responses.
From what I've been told and researched the SB will always be a touch warmer. Looks like you're good for now. With a circa 1996 boat and risers/mani.'s that I don't have a replacement date on, I carry my IR thermometer with me every time out. Will be doing R&M's this summer.

Keith

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.