Changing oil with oil coolers? >

Changing oil with oil coolers?

Notices

Changing oil with oil coolers?

Old 04-18-2017, 11:46 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Changing oil with oil coolers?

I'm having two new motors build should be done in a couple weeks. I'm adding oil coolers since It ran hot before. My question is when changing oil will some of the used oil stay in the coolers how do you get that out when changing it? Or is this oil like in a torque converter on a transmission it's just going to stay. And also where's the best place to mount them on the side of the block? I have a shop doing the work I just want to feel confident about the install of them.
Old 04-18-2017, 11:53 AM
Registered

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

I never worried about it, they are under my motors.
Old 04-18-2017, 01:12 PM
Registered

Received 829 Likes on 350 Posts

If you have remote filter mounts old oil will stay in those lines as well. It's just not really possible to get 100% of the old oil out of an engine.
Old 04-18-2017, 09:54 PM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,816 Likes on 904 Posts

Some oil will always remain in the coolers. It is pretty minimal.

Since the engines are out, I would install oil drain kits in the oil pans. They make changing oil easier and get out more dirty oil than sucking it out.
Old 04-19-2017, 06:55 AM
Registered

Received 743 Likes on 401 Posts

Originally Posted by nova26
I'm having two new motors build should be done in a couple weeks. I'm adding oil coolers since It ran hot before. My question is when changing oil will some of the used oil stay in the coolers how do you get that out when changing it? Or is this oil like in a torque converter on a transmission it's just going to stay. And also where's the best place to mount them on the side of the block? I have a shop doing the work I just want to feel confident about the install of them.
Uh, details on the new mills?!
Old 04-19-2017, 09:03 AM
Registered

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Griff

Since the engines are out, I would install oil drain kits in the oil pans. They make changing oil easier and get out more dirty oil than sucking it out.
I installed hydraulic lines out the oil drain plug holes and zip tie them up higher, now I can just pump my oil out with them. The initial idea was to fish them out my drain plugs but my bilge pumps are int the way.
Old 04-19-2017, 09:52 AM
Registered

Received 121 Likes on 39 Posts

All kinds of oil stays in the motor. All the oil passages, lifters, any low spot in the block, oil lines, coolers ....
Old 04-19-2017, 11:39 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Griff

Great idea I look these up I didn't even know they existed. The only thing is it's so freaking tight I don't think I could get my arm down there to fish the hose through the drain hole.
Old 04-19-2017, 11:43 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by JRider
I installed hydraulic lines out the oil drain plug holes and zip tie them up higher, now I can just pump my oil out with them. The initial idea was to fish them out my drain plugs but my bilge pumps are int the way.
Great idea. Should've read the rest of the thread before I post the last post.
Old 04-19-2017, 12:13 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Knot 4 Me
Uh, details on the new mills?!
JD Engine and Machine out of Columbia Missouri are setting me up. Four bolt main Dart blocks upgraded the rods and lighter pistons. Went with aluminum heads with all the good parts change the cam but still going to have a smooth idol. With the Blackhawks this was important to me with the high gear ratio and the 31 pitch props I need it to idle around the docks and not die. Were using the same fuel injection for that reason. It's also getting Eddie marine thunder exhaust. Oil coolers are added to both motors also. Should be around 100 hp more per motor than stock. So it should be total 800hp. I didn't want to go with anything radical I wanted something that was really durable and reliable. Also getting new cool looking aluminum valve covers. The bilge is changing from white to yellow and getting new Eddie marine billet red battery boxes getting rid of the plastic ones. Also went a head and bought brand-new Mercury high-performance transom assembly's. The Blackhawks are picking up the finned XR caps for the top of the drives.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.