Highest OIl Temps that are safe

Notices

Highest OIl Temps that are safe

Old 05-26-2017, 12:16 PM
artselectricinc.com
Platinum Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by MILD THUNDER
700sci and 600sci specs. Take a look at the max oil temperatures.
Is this recomended temp taken before, or after oil cooler?
Old 05-26-2017, 02:23 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Caster oil?

Originally Posted by AllDodge
The question is what is the highest oil temps that oil can take before issues start?

To start with had a 18 inch long 2 inch diameter cooler and had no idea what the oil temp was. After a short time I wondered why the oil was so black and was running 20W50 Caster oil. Also had 3/8 ID oil lines and standard Merc oil filter block adapter.

This year, installed 10-AN oil lines and oil adapter, along with 525 oil cooler, using Brad Penn straight 50W. Pressure after getting to or above 220 degrees I'm seeing 70 to 80 psi oil pressure. My 530 HP motor is at 220 degrees running 3400 rpm's and gets to 240 degrees at 3600 rpm. When I go higher and at WOT it just keeps climbing. Did not do a lot of running so this was just initial readings with a 18 mile round trip. This was 9 miles up, stop swim and later come back. Water temp is around 85 degrees so its still a bit cool.

Plan to install AFR meters to check ratio, and also water pressure gauge in the block to make sure water is flowing. Also plan to go back to 20W50 Castor oil. Have brand new impeller and Hardin Marine SS water pump housing for this season
You are using castor bean oil? Not a good choice for anything except a racing engine where you change the oil before every race.
Old 05-26-2017, 04:34 PM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Full Force
Not sure if that was for OP or me, but My info came from Eddie Young just so I don't get bashed for posting what I was informed . In my case in past I would see 150-200 after cooler, but had a hard time in coolerbwater after a richer tube, so I added stats this season now see too much temp, 230 after cooler and climbing... so yesterday inremived them, hence why I asked Eddie his opinion just one of many.
Its hard for the average DIY guy to find out these kind of answers. Eddie might say 230 AFTER the cooler is ok. Bob Teague, says much cooler than that. Im sure that if you got 10 welll known marine engine builders to give your their thoughts, you'd get 10 different answers on the topic. Then theres the oil guys. They also will give you different answers.

Eddie is much smarter than me, and does this for a living. 230 AFTER the cooler, seems pretty darn hot to me. But again, he is a pro, I am not.

I'd imagine that if the oil AFTER the cooler, is 230, it has to be quite a bit hotter BEFORE the cooler. How much, IDK, prob depends on the cooler and rest of system.

All i know, is that the hotter the oil gets, the viscosity plummets. A 20w50 at 230-240 degrees, is prob like running a 5w30 at 180-190 degrees.
Old 05-26-2017, 07:05 PM
BUP
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

not one Merc small blocks and down run a motor oil cooler ever for a stock app. Even the small block HO MAGS do not use oil coolers. Their oil temps after hard runs are over 220 degrees without any problems and some of the 350 small bocks have 1500 hours on them and or tow skiers around all day long every weekend in the summer.

Texas has very high water temps and high air temps for summer boating. The inboard ski boats - that totally enclosed engine box in the middle of the hull allows no air period to any part of the engine including the oil pan Zero. They get hot running and their oil temps can get very high from lugging skiers around all day long. They do not have motor oil coolers either. Just saying and live very long. The motor oil has to reach 212 at some point to burn off condensation from combustion.

230 MAXED oil temps is not too hot

also other factors turn oil black as well - fuel mixed in to the motor oil, vacuum leaks, and lean conditions all can turn motor oil black as well.

Last edited by BUP; 05-26-2017 at 07:18 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Cap'm Kurt (09-17-2021)
Old 05-26-2017, 07:28 PM
BUP
Banned

Maybe your motor oil cooler has a form of restriction impeding waterflow Or your water circ pump is not up to par. Seen many of both

how about your t stat and if applicable the check balls and or check valves at any location in the cooling system.

I really do not even know what your app is but throwing the norms out there
Old 05-26-2017, 07:54 PM
BUP
Banned

383 stroker Mercruiser and I think 400 hp and does not use an motor oil cooler - This is from their repower division

http://www.marineengine.com/parts/me...-3-point-drain

At one time Merc had a 383 - 6000 rpm engine with 450 hp and it had no motor oil cooler on it if I stand corrected.

Last edited by BUP; 05-26-2017 at 07:59 PM.
Old 05-26-2017, 08:10 PM
Registered

Received 698 Likes on 341 Posts

The 320 efi small block did
Old 05-26-2017, 09:14 PM
Registered

Received 1,207 Likes on 580 Posts

300 Tempest had an oil cooler.
https://www.marineengine.com/parts/m...er-and-adaptor
Old 05-26-2017, 09:15 PM
BUP
Banned

Originally Posted by Unlimited jd
The 320 efi small block did
I knew someone would bring that up like us old timers.

That is correct on all 80 of them that they sold back in 1987 thru 1989. haha

It was a combo power steering cooler and motor oil cooler in one unit === Half and half. and not very large either,

Also they used the oil pressure sender on the oil filter adapter mount and the old 2 wire version if I recall correctly for the 320.
Old 05-26-2017, 09:34 PM
BUP
Banned

Originally Posted by Rookie
Yes and what Mercrusier found thru Merc racing was the Small blocks oil temps were too cold in northern climates with colder water temps. SO no oil coolers because it did cause oil related issues and warranty issues as well.

Merc tracks its warranty claims per sections of the USA and other countries. What issues take place in AZ might not be the same in Canada or Maine or very Northern Michigan and so on. And vice versa.

To add these can be the hottest running engines - the marine gas CAT engines --- because the cat need to have 650 to 800 degrees to be effective and operate correctly. So lack of cooling and heat soak can cause very high heat. These do not have motor oil coolers either. Just saying

http://www.marineengine.com/parts/me...g-system-bravo

Last edited by BUP; 05-26-2017 at 09:50 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.