Steering play? >

Steering play?

Notices

Steering play?

Old 06-04-2017, 05:59 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Steering play?

I just got a 99 29 baja outlaw. It has lathem external steering. But it is an add-on system. There is a cable going from the helm to the starboard transom assembly. From there the actuator at the starboard transom assembly, the hoses for the external rams are attached. I believe this is a factory system installed from baja. There seems to be about 4 inches of play in the steering wheel when I turn the wheel with the motors off. I don't think there is play at the tiller arm. I believe there is play in the cable or steering rack or rotary. Is there a way to adjust this play out of the system? The port transom assembly is not connected to the steering system on the inside of the boat. Only connected via the external rams. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
Old 06-04-2017, 10:57 PM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,821 Likes on 907 Posts

Is there 4" of play when engine is running????
Old 06-05-2017, 04:45 AM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

there is a bunch of play in the brazil valve when no power steering pressure. and that 4 inches. that is your hand going back and forth that much on the wheel? sounds close to normal. but have somebody work the wheel while you are looking at the other end of cable at the steering valve. you should be able to see the cable move with the wheel. if he moves wheel and cablr doesn't move for a bit, then play needs to be found. one bad spot to watch for is the cable housing not tight to the steering valve. you will see the outer housing go in-out mebbe 1/8 to 1/4 inch. that thread is aluminum and can gall. (get damaged even though not cross-threaded) so it'll feel tight even though it never got tightened down.
Old 06-05-2017, 07:19 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Griff
Is there 4" of play when engine is running????
I don't know, I haven't had a chance to check with the boat running. The weather has not been good hear in the north east.
Old 06-05-2017, 07:23 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by dereknkathy
there is a bunch of play in the brazil valve when no power steering pressure. and that 4 inches. that is your hand going back and forth that much on the wheel? sounds close to normal. but have somebody work the wheel while you are looking at the other end of cable at the steering valve. you should be able to see the cable move with the wheel. if he moves wheel and cablr doesn't move for a bit, then play needs to be found. one bad spot to watch for is the cable housing not tight to the steering valve. you will see the outer housing go in-out mebbe 1/8 to 1/4 inch. that thread is aluminum and can gall. (get damaged even though not cross-threaded) so it'll feel tight even though it never got tightened down.
Yea, the 4 inches is my hand going back and forth on the wheel. I'll check for the cable moving at the valve on the transom assembly when a get a chance. I just feel like the cable can't really move at the transom assembly since the motor is not running and thus no pressure in the power steering system. And it's really hard to budge the outdrives when the motors are off. I'm pretty sure the tiller arm and swivel pin and gimbal ring on the starboard outdrive look good and tight, but I'll have to verify.
Old 06-05-2017, 07:25 AM
Registered

So is there basically not adjustment on the cable system if I do find slack in the cable or steering rack or rotary?
Old 06-05-2017, 07:55 AM
Registered

With external steering, you can't move the drives when the engine is not running. Those cylinders are full of hydraulic fluid and they ain't going to let you move the drives. Now the tillers inside the boat are no longer being used. They're just there hanging in the breeze. It's the external hydraulic cylinders that are steering the boat. And no this is not an original equipment system. It has been added on. When the engine is running, is there any free play in the steering wheel before the outdrives turn?

Last edited by dereknkathy; 06-05-2017 at 09:24 AM.
Old 06-05-2017, 07:04 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by dereknkathy
With external steering, you can't move the drives when the engine is not running. Those cylinders are full of hydraulic fluid and they ain't going to let you move the drives. Now the tillers inside the boat are no longer being used. They're just there hanging in the breeze. It's the external hydraulic cylinders that are steering the boat. And no this is not an original equipment system. It has been added on. When the engine is running, is there any free play in the steering wheel before the outdrives turn?
The starboard tiller is connected to the steering cable. The port tiller is not hooked up to anything. I realize the hydraulic cylinders won't allow the outdrives to move when not running. That's why I'm questioning the play in the steering wheel when the boat is not running. I'll have to check what is moving when I turn the wheel, because the outdrives are not. I do think this is the system that was installed in the baja factory when the boat was assembled. It's basically what they call an add-on system with a brazil valve on the original power steering actuator valve.

Last edited by FBRONCO; 06-06-2017 at 06:50 AM.
Old 06-05-2017, 07:19 PM
Registered

The cable is only hooked to the tiller to give that end a place for support, instead of hanging out in mid air. I assume there is an external tie bar attaching drives together?
Old 06-06-2017, 06:51 AM
Registered

Yep. the tie bar is on the outside. I have to admit, I don't understand how the brazil valve works very well and often wondered if the external rams can work against the cable and tiller arm at times? (maybe different speeds or pressure?)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.