Help! Boat stopped running after fairly hard pounding

Notices

Help! Boat stopped running after fairly hard pounding

Old 10-13-2002, 07:49 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help! Boat stopped running after fairly hard pounding

Was out yesterday for a last run of the season foliage run with my wife. Wind kicked up and on the way back were fighting 4 -5 foot waves in a 27 Fountain. Boat was running fine and then a cough and it just died. Checked prop and lower seemed fine. Tried to start, motor cranked over fine but wouldn't start. My novice guess would be ignition or fuel problem. Any hints as to where to look for loose connections in the ignition? Any other advice greatly appreciated.

Motor is genV 502 carb motor with thunderbolt IV ignition.
Old 10-13-2002, 07:56 AM
Charter Member #1055/Moderator
Charter Member

Sounds electrical. I had it happen once and the ignition wire was off the ignition switch. Also check the main harness plug at the engine for looseness and then trace all the wiring and tug on connections to check them. Good luck!!!
Old 10-13-2002, 08:23 AM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Yup start looking for a wire that worked its way loose. Look at the back of the ignition and make sure that wires are all attached and tight. Make sure that the plug going into the engine is pushed all the way in. Check to make sure that a coil wire did not fall off. That should be a good start anyhow

Jon
Old 10-13-2002, 09:16 AM
VIP Member

Check out your engine kill switch on the dash. Make sure all wires are connected and then push switch in and out a few times. If this does not work then check all wires at keyed ign. switch. Moisture does funny things to switches.

Good luck,
Dave
Old 10-13-2002, 11:11 AM
Registered

Originally posted by Bigwavz
Check out your engine kill switch on the dash. Make sure all wires are connected and then push switch in and out a few times. If this does not work then check all wires at keyed ign. switch. Moisture does funny things to switches.

Good luck,
Dave
Right on!!! check the kill switch and the back of the kill switch, make sure the wires are in it.
Old 10-13-2002, 11:43 AM
I hate the winter!!
Platinum Member

First thing is to make sure it is an ignition problem. Pull off a plug wire and put a spark tester on to check for spark. My bet is that you wont have spark. If so, get a test light and check the positive side of the coil for power when the key is in the run position. If that is good, check the negative side for a pulse signal. Then post your results.
Old 10-13-2002, 12:12 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Had the same thing happen to me. Check the engine harness plug. Mine have hose clamps on them to keep them in place. I was out in the rough stuff and I looked down and ALL the guages were dead for that engine. Shut it down and it wouldn't restart. Long ride back to port on one engine.
Old 10-13-2002, 06:13 PM
Registered

Received 78 Likes on 47 Posts

Same thing happened to me too last year---it was rough out and I came down off a hard wave and she started popin' bad. Found that the screw worked its way off the stud and the wire was just barely hangin' on. I was about 12 miles away from the next port and had to idle it in. Coast Guard came saw me after I was about 1/2 mile from port.

Last edited by KAAMA; 10-13-2002 at 06:16 PM.
Old 10-13-2002, 11:23 PM
Charter Member #1093
Charter Member

You mentioned you had a carbed engine? There is a slight chance you landed just right that the float bent on impact or the needle and seat are stuck. If all of the other checks (electrical) the guys have recommended don't work, check the float level and fuel flow. When Benny and I were running carbed engines in the F-275 during the 2000 season, we had this happen twice in very rough water, Miami and Point Pleasant. With the EFI engines never had the problem.

Good luck, and let us know what you find.

Steve
Old 10-14-2002, 07:15 AM
Charter Member #1171
Charter Member

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

This would be pretty obvious and probably not your problem unless yu have a very tight engine compartmet andcant see n there very well,,, but a buddy of mine was running hard and his sea pump belt just popped off,,,, there goes your fuel pump.

Quick Reply: Help! Boat stopped running after fairly hard pounding

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.