High Idle on Mercruiser 496 Mag

Notices

High Idle on Mercruiser 496 Mag

Old 06-09-2017, 07:03 AM
Registered
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default High Idle on Mercruiser 496 Mag

We've got a Formula 330 ss with the 496 Mag's. The port side idles at 650 rpm and shifts easily. On the starboard side it's idling close to 800 rpm which makes it a little difficult to shift. If I move the throttle forward just a small amount the idle will drop to 650 and everything shifts great. I already switched the throttle position sensor from my port engine to starboard and put in a new IAC. What could cause the idle to climb 150 rpm at fully closed throttle?
Old 06-10-2017, 06:15 AM
Registered

Received 119 Likes on 81 Posts

Sounds like a throttle linkage problem. If you move throttle lever fwd and you drop rpm something is wrong. This action should open the throttle plate and increase rpm. I would unhook throttle linkage off tb and verify manual operation. If you have access to a scantool you can monitor tps and throttle # when working your throttle lever.
Old 06-10-2017, 06:37 AM
Registered

Received 471 Likes on 367 Posts

Marine motors don't have a return spring, and I'm guessing you need to adjust the cable. There is a barrel nut which holds the outer jacket. With throttle in neutral, remove nut and rotate the barrel so it gives slight pressure holding the butterfly closed
Old 06-10-2017, 09:05 AM
Registered

Received 416 Likes on 245 Posts

If not throttle related could be iac or vacuum leak.
Old 06-10-2017, 09:20 AM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

It is best to check actual throttle position with a Rinda or other scanner. That way you can set your cable position adjustments specifically according to what the Throttle Position Sensor Percentage is stating, at both end of the swing. This way you can match the motors. You really can't do this by sight alone. In a nutshell, with the throttles pulled all the way back, you want to ensure the TPS reads 0% open. And with the throttles pushed all the way open, you want to ensure the TPS reads 100% open. You want to be certain they are trued up like this. You do this with the engine off and the ignition turned on.

And yes, you could very well have an IAC problem if syncing your throttle blades doesn't correct the problem.

Last edited by Sydwayz; 06-10-2017 at 09:41 AM.
Old 06-10-2017, 10:04 AM
BUP
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

throttle blade position not closing enough so related parts with all that end including throttle cable and or its adjustment

IAC

IAC muffler missing ?

TPS and its parameters

dirty flame arrestor

SCAN the engine to see if your tachs are reading correctly - I would check this 4 sure

fault codes ?

idle running parameters -- ie : coolant temp sensor and reading correctly also possible stuck t stat open ? MAP readings ?

Vacuum leak on any of the intake side of things

Last edited by BUP; 06-10-2017 at 10:15 AM.
Old 06-10-2017, 10:09 AM
BUP
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

A very good friend of mine is a retired Merc master tech in your area. If you want me to ask about hiring him I can or see if he is interested working on your app. I could ask. He is very honest and super smart with Mercruiser marine engines.

He is not some hack lets see if I can fix it and prob at one time the best Marine tech Minnesota had for Inboards and I/O - OEM stock apps. He will not work on pieced together apps. OEM stock apps only.