Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
memphis audio or kicker marine subs as free air? >

memphis audio or kicker marine subs as free air?

Notices

memphis audio or kicker marine subs as free air?

Old 06-12-2017, 08:47 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default memphis audio or kicker marine subs as free air?

I am installing a new stereo system in my 29 outlaw, I currently have a jl jx1000/1d amp that will be powering the subs. Im looking to install 2 or 4 10" subs in the back seat area as free air setup. Im looking at the memphis audio 15mxa10d4 and the kicker 41kmw104lc. Which sub will be the better one to use for my setup and also how many is best to run with my amp 2 or 4?
Old 06-12-2017, 09:57 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 204 Likes on 132 Posts

Keep it Jl, my 4 JL 10's POUND hard off that amp... make sure you build the face of the seat to not flex and absorb the shaking, if the subs are bouncing around it's not gonna sound that good.
Old 06-12-2017, 10:05 PM
Registered

JL subs im sure would be better but those are out of my price range and i have access to the 2 types of subs i listed for under $100 a sub so just trying to pick the best of the 2
Old 06-12-2017, 10:59 PM
Registered

Received 121 Likes on 66 Posts

Make sure you calculate how much air space you have in your seat area. I was going to install 3 JL Audio 10's in my back seat area until I realized I needed 3 cubes a speaker. The same JL speakers for a sealed box only needed 1.5 cubes total for all 3! IMO there is no reason to buy a free air sub, you are going to need to build a box for it anyway if you want it to sound good.
Old 06-12-2017, 11:23 PM
Registered

I have right at 12 cubic feet of open space under the rear seat. I do plan to seal off the compartment the best i can so the space will act more like a enclosure for the subs. I know the kicker subs can be used in either application free air or sealed but cannot find any info on the memphis subs on this. The kicker subs are single voice coil 4ohm where as the memphis is a dual voice coil 4ohm, so the kickers will run the amp at 500 watts rms at 4 ohm and the memphis will be able to run the amp at 1000 rms at 2 ohm
Old 06-13-2017, 04:57 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Originally Posted by endeavour32
Make sure you calculate how much air space you have in your seat area. I was going to install 3 JL Audio 10's in my back seat area until I realized I needed 3 cubes a speaker. The same JL speakers for a sealed box only needed 1.5 cubes total for all 3! IMO there is no reason to buy a free air sub, you are going to need to build a box for it anyway if you want it to sound good.
reason for free air.... storage space, I have approx. 10-12cubic ft of space in rear seat, most do... they sound so good it blows my mind.. ALOT has to do with good amps and clean power also... most overlook that, you need a lot of power for free air to sound right.
Old 06-13-2017, 05:00 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Originally Posted by sdvratrod
JL subs im sure would be better but those are out of my price range and i have access to the 2 types of subs i listed for under $100 a sub so just trying to pick the best of the 2
buy used, the reason the others are cheaper is because they are not as good, it really depends what you plan to do or want, in my case I beat the living chit out of the stereo every weekend so I wanted something to last, I been into audio for years and JL has outlasted and taken more abuse then any other I ever used... if you are not going for best clearest sound then the cheaper speakers will work
Old 06-13-2017, 07:37 AM
Registered

Received 121 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by Full Force
reason for free air.... storage space, I have approx. 10-12cubic ft of space in rear seat, most do... they sound so good it blows my mind.. ALOT has to do with good amps and clean power also... most overlook that, you need a lot of power for free air to sound right.

You must have a massive back seat. My internal area is roughly 6'x10"x11", this equals 4.58 cubic feet. I ended up sticking with my Boston Acoustic G5's that I have mounted in custom pods, that are bolted to the bottoms of my power bolsters. They only need .5 cubes of air space and are 100% out of the way.

Don't skimp on your subs, JL, Boston Acoustic, Orion, Rockford Fosgate and others make good subs. I was disappointed in the JL Marine subs, they use plastic frames, wimpy magnets, and didn't handle much power. My G5's use a much nicer cast aluminum frame, and handle 600 watts ea, which is perfect or my JL 1000/1 amp. What ever you go with, just make sure it's not a steel frame, they will eventually rust.
Old 06-13-2017, 09:31 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

My interior was all custom done the way I planned to use it so that helps, I am surprised to hear that about your JL, mine are abused every weekend going on 5 seasons now... never an issue and sounds great.
Old 06-13-2017, 09:31 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

I woukd add pics but the new layout makes it nearly impossible

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.