bottom bolt on steering actuator >

bottom bolt on steering actuator

Notices

bottom bolt on steering actuator

Old 06-19-2017, 09:51 AM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default bottom bolt on steering actuator

Any tips for removing the bottom bolt on the merc steering actuator that is attached to the transom assembly? I have twin 454 mags in a 29 outlaw and it is very hard to get to that bottom bolt and to unbend the tab that keeps the bolt from backing out. Any tips would be great! I currently have both risers and silent choice off. The actuator is on the starboard side and it is very hard to work around the y pipes.
Old 06-19-2017, 10:12 AM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

2 choices. pull the engine or keep fighting. you might want to pull 1 carb. throw a piece of plywood and a rug on top of engines so you aren't getting stabbed in the belly. then take your phone, put in portrait mode. reach under and get a pic so you know which tab is your culprit. now, you need a short sharp cold chisel. you may need to cut one off short enough to get a hammer under it and swing up. wont need much of a swing. once chisel is correctly set between bolt and tang, it'll tap open pretty easy. oh, and et a 6 pack of beer and have one next to you...