Notices

Canvas dye

Old 06-27-2017, 08:55 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 151 Likes on 77 Posts
Default Canvas dye

Have a Bimini canvas top except for the stains that won't wash out it's in excellant cond......was quoted, minimum $800 to replace.
Don't know, but if it can be dyed or even spray (fabric) painted that would be really a home run!...........it's 114" long.... anbody have
experience doing this?
Old 06-28-2017, 11:39 AM
Registered

Received 127 Likes on 74 Posts

I tried re-dying my Bimini top/enclosure canvas. It was Aqualon fabric - so Vinyl coated polyester. It was in good shape just very faded. I did a bit of research and found that Rit Advanced liquid dye is made for polyester. I ordered about 8 bottles from Hobby Lobby as they only stocked a couple at any time. I thoroughly cleaned the fabric to remove waterproofing.

The kicker is the dye says to use in a pot on stove at near-boiling temps. Obviously this was impossible for that amount of fabric so I boiled water, stored in coolers until I had enough, poured it all in a large plastic tub, added dye and my fabric. I let it sit most of the day even. Looked awesome when I pulled it out. So the process began to flush the dye so I wouldn't color my boat at the first rain storm. I flushed and flushed and flushed with hose water until it ran clear.

After flushing, the fabric lost 90% of the added coloring and looked only slightly less faded than before. I'll say though the zippers and other pieces that were white were now extremely rich with color! They are only things that really absorbed the dye.

So, long story short, unless you have true CANVAS, then you are wasting your time most likely. Synthetic fibers just won't absorb the dye that well and then you have to worry about the dye leaching from then on when it rains.
Old 06-28-2017, 10:48 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 151 Likes on 77 Posts

GF thanks for posting your experience and saving me the time & money....... I found this stuff and read some positive feedback on it https://toprenew.com/shop/renovo-mar...anvas-reviver/