Notices

Help Won't start

Old 07-03-2017, 07:10 AM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts
Unhappy Help Won't start

First start up of the season
1995 Formula 502 mpi, bravo3
It's on the trailer on the hose, I hit the key and it started right up, but I didn't notice the throttle stick was pushed to about 50% position, so it revved up quickly.
I shut it down immediately but now it's dead on the key, starter doesn't click. I have power to accessories and gauges.
I checked all the breakers and fuses I know and made sure the shifter was in neutral.

Is there a safety override or something for over revving.

Any ideas. thanx
Old 07-03-2017, 07:28 AM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I don't think so. double check batt terminals.
Old 07-03-2017, 08:39 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 1,124 Likes on 474 Posts

Does a '95 have that red circuit breaker? It's located somewhere pretty obvious on the engine. I think it's a master electrical breaker and needs to sit for a few minutes after tripping before it can be reset. Im no expert so I look for anything easy before calling for help.

Good luck.
RR
Attached Thumbnails Help     Won't start-img_6964.jpg  
Old 07-03-2017, 09:00 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by rak rua
Does a '95 have that red circuit breaker? It's located somewhere pretty obvious on the engine. I think it's a master electrical breaker and needs to sit for a few minutes after tripping before it can be reset. Im no expert so I look for anything easy before calling for help.

Good luck.
RR
Mine is different but located on top of the engine, it's not tripped.
I figure the overrev may have caused enough vibration to loosen a connection somewhere, I just need to find it and I am not very good with electricity
Old 07-03-2017, 09:02 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Try shorting across the neutral switch. This will tell you if the neutral switch is the cause.
Old 07-03-2017, 09:07 AM
Registered

or short across the 2 top terminals on starter slave solenoid. it is probably the neutral switch, especially since the only thing you did besides hitting the key was pull the shifter. wiggle shifter thru neutral while holding key on crank.
Old 07-03-2017, 10:22 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by dereknkathy
or short across the 2 top terminals on starter slave solenoid. it is probably the neutral switch, especially since the only thing you did besides hitting the key was pull the shifter. wiggle shifter thru neutral while holding key on crank.
Moving the shifter doesn't help.
Shorted the solenoid and it kicked, could be the big fuse on the power cable to the starter.
Old 07-03-2017, 10:28 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The "Clicking" sound is the started bendix trying to throw the gear into the flywheel, but you didn't energize the starter motor. This shows that the starter bendix is fine.
My money is still on the neutral switch. Try shorting across it.
Old 07-03-2017, 10:29 AM
Registered

there is no big fuse on power cable. slave solenoid fires starter. the key puts power to yellow with red stripe wire. it goes thru shift neutral switch on shifter and fires slave solenoid. see 2 yellow-red wires going up to the shifter? connect them together. boat starts? neutral switch.
Old 07-03-2017, 12:19 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by dereknkathy
there is no big fuse on power cable. slave solenoid fires starter. the key puts power to yellow with red stripe wire. it goes thru shift neutral switch on shifter and fires slave solenoid. see 2 yellow-red wires going up to the shifter? connect them together. boat starts? neutral switch.

thanks, I didn't know how to bypass the neutral switch. now I do.

There is a big fuse on my unit, it's a small block that two wires run thru, it's even in my wiring diagram.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.