Bravo 3 Rattle under Load >

Bravo 3 Rattle under Load

Notices

Bravo 3 Rattle under Load

Old 07-03-2017, 07:31 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bravo 3 Rattle under Load

I have a 96 Chap with a 5.7lx and Bravo 3. I just put it in the water today. The boat ran great for the first hour at a slow speed (about 7 knots, 2000 rpm), then when I increased throttle to about 3000-3500 while pulling my son on tube, I began hearing a loud rattle (like marbles in a jar, not a nice sound). At first it sounded like a rocker arm rattle, but it was coming from the drive. I stopped, put it in neutral and revved the engine to 3500, and didn't hear any rattle, sounded perfect. I put it in gear again and went to 3500 under load and the rattle was back. I then trimmed the drive up a bit and the rattle stopped under load. Since a trimmed the boat that time, the rattle has for the most part stopped. I can still hear it very faintly under load.

Again, no noise in neutral, and trimming the drive seemed to have quieted the rattle some. Just before putting the boat in water, I changed drive fluid and greased the gimble bearing. Just last year, I replaced the drive bellows.

Does this sound like a gimble bearing going, or a universal?