Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Lenco Trim tab's.....Plastic mounting brackets?? >

Lenco Trim tab's.....Plastic mounting brackets??

Notices

Lenco Trim tab's.....Plastic mounting brackets??

Old 07-14-2017, 10:33 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lenco Trim tab's.....Plastic mounting brackets??

Based on several positive referrals, I bought a Lenco 12x12 performance trim tab kit, polished stainless tabs, with the LED controller. Upon inspection, I see that the mounting brackets to both the tab and transom are plastic. The eyelets on the actuators are also plastic.

I assumed by the online pics, the nearly $1000 purchase price, and the suggested use on boats up to 30 ft/6000+ lbs weight, that the mounting components would be metal. Plastic.....Seriously? I am a design engineer, and even if the material is FR4, TPU, or PET (which it does not appear to be), this looks to be a poorly advised use case for injection molded materials.

Anyone have problems with long term performance use.....breakage or wear on Lenco trim tabs with a similar setup?
Old 07-14-2017, 11:01 AM
Registered

Received 692 Likes on 276 Posts

I blew an upper mount off my transom... tore the screws out, the mount itself did not break, And if anyone can break something, its me........
Old 07-14-2017, 11:08 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by phragle
I blew an upper mount off my transom... tore the screws out, the mount itself did not break, And if anyone can break something, its me........
Just to be clear, you have Lenco tabs with the plastic brackets and the screws tore out with the bracket intact?

I have access to the back side, so I would use a through bolted, 1/4 aluminum backing plate.
Old 07-14-2017, 12:11 PM
Registered

Just spoke with Jim at Lenco. He said the brackets are made from hi-strength, fiber infused engineered plastic using an in-house molding process......trade secret. He said they are very strong and he has never seen one break. Based on many years of experience, he said the plastic components do not suffer from fatigue/corrosion cracking or degrade silently over a period of time due to corrosion.....especially in salt water.....and then fail unexpectedly.

I am satisfied FWIW.
Old 07-14-2017, 12:23 PM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,902 Likes on 955 Posts

I had Bennets on my 24 Outlaw and the only thing that ever broke was the plastic pins that connect to the transom mount.