External Steering Install Issues >

External Steering Install Issues

Notices

External Steering Install Issues

Old 07-22-2017, 06:45 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default External Steering Install Issues

Just installed a used external steering half system on my Excalibur. It consists of the old style Saginaw shuttle valve with imco steering rams I purchased used. Verified that the lines are plumbed 100% correct. System is bled without any air showing at resivoir and outdrive moves left to right correctly when turning steering wheel. The issue is you can turn the outdrive all the way left to right without any resistance. Just installed similar setup on my last boat without this issue. Wondering if the rams are leaking through internally or possibly check valve is not working at pump? Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks
Old 07-23-2017, 07:49 AM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

so you are saying you can push drive back and forth by hand while standing behind the boat with engine running? it would take 2 blown cylinders. so I think it is gonna be a Saginaw valve or connection to the valve issue.
Old 07-23-2017, 10:07 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by dereknkathy
so you are saying you can push drive back and forth by hand while standing behind the boat with engine running? it would take 2 blown cylinders. so I think it is gonna be a Saginaw valve or connection to the valve issue.
Yes, I can turn the outdrive all the way from left to right while running. I've bled cylinders at fittings as well. Valve is from 1985 with 700hrs of use on it so I'm guessing that could be the prob as well. Thanks for the reply
Old 07-23-2017, 10:23 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 3,050 Likes on 1,357 Posts

you still have air in the system, IMO......how did you bleed it
Old 07-23-2017, 11:58 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by F-2 Speedy
you still have air in the system, IMO......how did you bleed it

initially turned wheel from lock to lock and kept adding at resevior, then turning wheel hard over in one direction and cracking fitting on rams closest to the piston like Latham suggests. Fluid is clear and steady at rams, no sign of air at all. Going to keep trying to bleed. Something seems off with this one.
Old 07-23-2017, 12:08 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 3,050 Likes on 1,357 Posts

I always spin the ps pump with a drill while turning the wheel lock to lock, Ive not done a half system
Old 07-23-2017, 12:34 PM
Registered

Just bled rams multiple times and turned wheel lock to lock for 15 minutes. Same outcome. Can still turn outdrive fully from left to right. Gonna take another week off from boating and install my hydraulic helm. Tested the rams, they held 300psi for 15min. Guess it was the steering valve

Jason
Attached Thumbnails External Steering Install Issues-img_0548.jpg  

Last edited by 90nova; 07-23-2017 at 01:54 PM.