Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
8.2 Mag 2011 locked up >

8.2 Mag 2011 locked up

Notices

8.2 Mag 2011 locked up

Old 08-19-2017, 11:58 AM
Registered

Received 143 Likes on 95 Posts

Has anybody seen Ozarks where the wakeboard boats zips by sounding like a 1000hp offshore boat? So big power can be done! Lol

I'm a backyard hack, but my understanding is reversion can cause a valve to break, mainly corrosion as it sits in a puddle of water when not in use and exposed to cold water when hot, etc. It seems that if the OP takes care of the service bullitins and puts it back to oem spec he should be good to go for the long run.
Old 08-19-2017, 12:08 PM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

He might want to start with 32 new valves. At least 16 new exhausts. If the reversion issue caused this, I betcha it has effected some or all of the rest of the valves. We don't know at this point it is an exhaust, but odds are...
Old 08-19-2017, 12:21 PM
Registered

So, this is an aftermarket copy of the GM 502. Why not just buy 502 long blocks from chebby? And maybe that is part of the problem here. You have 15 or 20 companies-small companies with correspondingly small R&D and quality control departments-building parts for merc to assemble into an engine. Or did GM stop making the 502 altogether? And I assume if merc et al started marketing 504 hp engines for standard cruisers, the epa would first get pissed and then up the emissions number to 600 or 700 hp...

Last edited by dereknkathy; 08-19-2017 at 12:24 PM.
Old 08-19-2017, 06:20 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

No sheet sherlock, BUP has been here since well before me, and is a wealth of information.
Originally Posted by dereknkathy
I think OP joined the forum to find an engine for his boat. This isn't BUP's build. He is aerc dealer who comes on here and spends a lot of time pointing people down the right path. I am a shade tree idiot who can usually come up with a way to make something work. In this case with the emissions laws being the main issue BUP most likely knew he was educating a LOT of people on what they have to deal with when major repairs become necessary. Thread is only a couple of days old, but I think OP has moved on.
Old 08-19-2017, 06:57 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by buck35
I think it only pertains to manufactures that produce in volume. BUPS new build is a custom one off and no cats on that .
by the way, how is this going, have not seen any updates in a long time.
I didn't see anything in here about BUP's new build. I thought you had mixed up what engine we were talking about. I also didn't notice your user name as somebody been one here a long time and knows what he is talking about...

Last edited by dereknkathy; 08-19-2017 at 07:00 PM.